The Witness, book by Nora Roberts  » Books  »
  • Along with a friend, she let loose and enjoyed a drink in a nightclub which led to her witnessing a murder that will forever changed her life
  • Fascinated and frustrated with Abigail, Brooks pursued the heroine in such an interesting and exciting manner that leave you wanting to never stop reading

• by divinagwapa

I’m a voracious reader especially when talking about romantic suspense novels by best selling writers. When I’m really hooked and enthralled with a book, I can stay up to the wee hours of the night and even forego sleep if necessary. This is exactly what happened when I started reading Nora Roberts’ The Witness, the same book that, without a trace of doubt, turned me into a certified Nora Roberts fan.

From the first page to the last, I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy the journey, getting to know the book’s protagonists, Elizabeth and Brooks, and falling in love with both along the way. After years of living with a controlling and dispassionate mother, young Elizabeth, one day, found the urge to rebel

and do what other teenagers do - have fun and enjoy life. Along with a friend, she let loose and enjoyed a drink in a nightclub which led to her witnessing a murder that will forever changed her life.

Fast forward to a dozen years later, Elizabeth became Abigail Lowery, a freelance programmer who lived in an outskirt part of a small town in the Ozarks. Abigail’s unsociable lifestyle and reserve only intrigued Brook Shields’ more, the town’s chief of police. Fascinated and frustrated with Abigail, Brooks pursued the heroine in such an interesting and exciting manner that leave you wanting to never stop reading.

Before The Witness, I never did get why Nora Roberts was such a huge name in the romance novels world. After reading the book, I was sold. The writing was fantastic, drawing you into the plot just like you’re in it along with her heroine. I got scared and terrified then suspicious and wary. As the relationship grew between Abigail and Brooks, I was also falling in love, laughing and taking risks with them.

Roberts’ ability to drawn you into the story no matter how too descriptive or too long some parts can be is what got me hooked to the book. Toss in a story that will leave you hungering for more and you have a book you can’t put down. Even when going to the bathroom, I have to bring along my e-reader. It’s just too good to part with even for ...

• The Witness, book by Nora Roberts
      a few minutes.

In addition to the thrill and hold of the story, I especially love Brooks’ character. He’s hot and gorgeous with an easy and witty sense of humor. And he’s a police chief to boot. He’s certainly not perfect which makes the book more real but it’s exactly what I loved about him. He knows how to cajole, coax and court Abigail to open up. Soon enough, the heroine was spilling her guts out, revealing the secrets of the past and taking risk to seek for Brooks’ protection in order to finally break free from the past and live for their happy ending.

Sure, the book was really long. At 757 pages, there were some parts when it dragged but it did

not lull enough for me to put down the book. I was just too engaged with what’s going that I finished the entire thing within a day. And I knew that I loved the book because when I reached the last page, I wished that it never had to end. At the same time, I was beyond happy and fulfilled knowing that I spend my day well by reading a great romantic story with a thriller plot I will never forget about for years.

If you’re tired of reading romance novels full of cliches and common plots, it’s time to step up your game and grab Nora Roberts’ The Witness. Whether you love suspense or not, I’d still highly recommended it if only for Nora Roberts’ prose.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171071634521131/k2311a071/7.1.14