Apple iPhone 5S  » Phones  »
2.0
  • When it comes to phones, I’ve always preferred Android, but I decided to give the iPhone a try
  • I was also disappointed with the size of the phone
  • They seem sharp and make holding the phone rather uncomfortable, in my opinion
  • The bottom of the touch screen (where the keyboard displays) never gave me a problem
  • Unfortunately, that isn’t enough for me

• by Blanca

I purchased an iPhone 5S last December for my husband, who is a huge iPhone fan. Before that, I had never really used an Apple product. When it comes to phones, I’ve always preferred Android, but I decided to give the iPhone a try. To say the least, I was not impressed.

I was unpleasantly surprised by the lack of customization options. Being unable to choose exactly how I

wanted the phone to look was a huge negative for me. From the layout of the home screens and menus to the font on the phone, when it comes to the iPhone 5S, what you see up front is what you get. Sure, you could change those things by jail breaking the phone, but that is not an option for me. It’s illegal and it voids any warranties you might have on the device, leaving you out of luck if the phone ever becomes defective.

I was also disappointed with the size of the phone. It was too small for my tastes. Trying to navigate the phone or type a simple message using the keyboard was a task because the phone felt awkward in my hand. I didn’t like the edges of the phone either. They seem ...

• Apple iPhone 5S
      sharp and make holding the phone rather uncomfortable, in my opinion.

My biggest frustration was the touch screen. You would think that Apple would have this part down by now. The bottom of the touch screen (where the keyboard displays) never gave me a problem. Try tapping on something on the top half of the screen and it’s a different story. The calibration seemed off and the phone didn’t

respond to my touch most of the time.

The one thing that did impress me was stability. I’ll admit, not once did I ever have an issue with lagging, freezing, or crashing. Unfortunately, that isn’t enough for me. Being limited to iTunes, having no option for external storage, and the lack of support for open developers coupled with the above issues is a total deal breaker for me.

Leila says :

re : When it comes to phones, I’ve always preferred Android, but I decided to give the iPhone a try
I have always had android phones and absolutely loved them. I had become so adjusted to the set up the apps and basically everything about it. Everyone I know pretty much has had Iphones for a long time and would always hassle me to get one, but I was so skeptical. The fact that the world pretty much all has Iphones also kind of turned me off to it because I hate to feel as though I am following the trends. Despite all my skepticism, I finally gave in and got an Iphone 5. I was beyond impressed. Lets just start off with the keyboard. It is by far the easiest quickest touch screen keyboard I could ever possibly use. I love it Typing on it is just about effortless. I love the layout and set up of it as well it is so much more organized and easy to use. Everything seems more simple than an android system. Not to mention the Iphone 5 is sleek and thin. The screen may be a little smaller than most touch screen phones, but the quality is still incredible. I am so surprised with how much I love this phone. It is now my favorite phone that I have owned. Normally, my phone doesn’t last the full 2 years of the contract because of some sort of problem the system encounters. Basically I break a lot of phones. This is the only phone I have never had problems with at all. I love this phone and would recommend it to anyone and everyone

yasmine says :

I have had the iphone since last december and its a very good product I would recommend you buy it, it is very helpful in daily chores and oyu can always rely on it.

Nihas Gafoor says :

I decided to buy an iphone 5s on February 2014.I took this decision hesistatingly as I heard about that only a few free softwares are available on iphones. Most of the Apps will be paid apps unlike Android phones. But, I noticed that a lion share of the businessmen and professionals preferred iphones. I bought it expecting it will give me an idea about Mac OS which I was not familiar with before. I bought it and when I started to use it, I could notice the expression of respect from my friends and relatives to my phone even though they degraded it previously
As regards quality and standard, iphone 5s outdistanced its previous models and other brands of its time with its unique Fingerprint Sensor, Slow-Motion Video etc. Once, the phone fell in to a bucket of water and was completely immersed. I thought it was its`last breath’. But, I searched online and quickly put it in an airtight pouch filled with rice. After a few days, I opened it up to see it functioning as usual without any problem. Unlike Android phones Iphone 5s is not vulnerable to virus attacks. Till this day, I’m a proud owner of an iphone 5s.

cpy says :

I guess this is a debate that will never end and both parties are right.

It’s down to your preference. Having tried both phones (my mother has a Samsung and I’ve to do all the moving of files, rearranging app icons…blah for her) My conclusion is that Androids are slightly more difficult to use. My mum always complain about how she can’t take a screenshot easily (she can swipe a few times across the screen and nothing), cannot move her icons or end up having 2 of the same icons (I also don’t really get why it happens but it’s annoying) …

I also noticed more lag in her phone than mine. (I’m using iPhone 5S) But it could be her lower disk space (16GB and the system files already took almost a quarter of it) and she doesn’t know how to clear her cache and move her photos into her 32GB memory card. iPhone clears your unwanted cache for you, so it’s actually made easier.

But I like how Android has more free apps and easier to allow installation of 3rd party apps. However, the amount of advertisements can be annoying (same goes with some free iPhone apps)…

For those who think they’re stuck with iTunes, there are 3rd party programs out there that can allow transferring media and backing up without iTunes. Some may cost a little but if that’s what you want, it’s worth it.

In the end, it’s really down to your preference.

Thea Ivesdal says :

iPhones are the best. The quality is much better, and there is more iPhones with better camera quality in addition to how many samsungs it exists but almost all of the cameras on the phone sucks. The iPhones does not explode in your hands like the samsung note 7 does. Apple is more creative than samsung. The iPhone 7 is waterproof. I prefer iPhone, because I get to choose between more apps, better quality design, price, and MORE

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3730061634350430/k2311a0630/6.30.14