Rit Dye Liquid (Royal Blue)  » Clothes  »
  • I had a 50% off coupon so it only cost me $1.50
  • The only problem I had was it being an old dress, there are no tags so I couldn't figure out exactly what kind of fabric it was
  • It looks great in the new color and if you're ever needing to color fabric of some sort I really recommend Rit Liquid for ease of use, color payoff and overall value

by Bethany V.

I had an old white lace dress I wanted to wear for a wedding however, its inappropriate to wear white at a wedding. So I went to Michael’s and picked up an 8oz bottle of Rit Liquid Dye. I had a 50% off coupon so it only cost me $1.50. Not bad, huh?
  • Rit Dye Liquid - Royal Blue
  • I love royal blue, its a good color. The bottle is twist cap and there is no seal to mess with, which is good because you do not want to spill this. It stains, everything, badly. Be careful!

• Rit Dye Liquid - Royal Blue
  • Okay, this is the dress. I opted to use the washing machine method of dying this because its the fastest and the easiest. You have to soak the fabric you’re dying before you put it in. The only problem I had was it being an old dress, there are no tags so I couldn’t figure out exactly what kind of fabric it was. Different fabrics need different treatment; cottons and natural fibers get a cup of salt in the water. Synthetics like polyester and rayon get vinegar.

• Rit Dye Liquid - Royal Blue
  • All of the instructions are on the side of the bottle and since I hadnt done this since high school, I just followed. Fill the washer with hot water, enough to submerse whatever youre dying, and add the amount of dye you need and the salt/vinegar. I wanted the blue to be super blue so I disregarded the amount of dye and fabric measurements and just used the entire bottle. I took a gamble and chose salt, I figured 90% of my clothes are cotton so we’ll see.

• Rit Dye Liquid - Royal Blue
  • Then throw the dress in and let it cycle through. You have to extend the wash cycle because it needs to be 30 minutes, and switch the water to cold as it needs to be rinsed in cold but as soon as its done take it out and rinse. I rinsed it a few times in my bathtub just to be super sure. I put it in the dryer for a little bit while I cleaned the washer and this is how it came out!

• Rit Dye Liquid - Royal Blue
  • As you can see, I was right about part of it being cotton. The inside is a synthetic, but, it turned a really kind of dusty lavender color which looked really cute beneath the royal blue. It turned out to be a happy accident!

I could not take a photo of my washer after because I do know one thing about doing this, clean the washer DIRECTLY AFTER DOING IT or it will stay that color for ages. I just put mine on the biggest load, fill it up, pour in some bleach and add an old white towel. The bleach totally gets rid of the dye, and the towel inside helps remove it and create splashing to get the bleach to the places the dye splashed. All in all though, this dye was a really great buy and transformed a dress that would’ve otherwise sat in my closet. It looks great in the new color and if you’re ever needing to color fabric of some sort I really recommend Rit Liquid for ease of use, color payoff and overall value.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5530061634330430/k2311a0630/6.30.14