Arm & Hammer Ultra Last Cat Litter with Baking Soda  » Pets  »
2.0
  • I was leaving on vacation and wanting to save time, so instead of going from store to store for Fresh Step, I decided to try Arm & Hammer Ultra Last Cat Litter with Baking Soda
  • It's a decent replacement, but I will definitely be going back to Fresh Step as soon as I run out of this box
  • I believe I got it from Kroger for about $11-$12 for a 20lb box, whereas Fresh Step is about $14-$15
  • The first thing I noticed when using this litter is that the baking soda scent is pungently strong
  • I probably wouldn't buy this again unless I was in a pinch, and I would not recommend it to others

• by Melanie Noell

I always use Fresh Step cat litter, but the last time I went to the store, they were out of my usual brand. I was leaving on vacation and wanting to save time, so instead of going from store to store for Fresh Step, I decided to try Arm & Hammer Ultra Last Cat Litter with Baking Soda. It’s a decent replacement, but I will definitely be going back to Fresh Step as soon as I run out of this box.

I chose the Arm & Hammer because it was a familiar brand, and I remembered seeing commercials promoting the baking soda eliminating litter box odors. The other brands were ones I had either tried and

disliked or ones that were very cheap and I didn’t trust. The positive thing about this cat litter was that it was several dollars cheaper than my Fresh Step litter. I believe I got it from Kroger for about $11-$12 for a 20lb box, whereas Fresh Step is about $14-$15. I don’t mind spending a little more for a litter that eliminates odors and clumps well, so I was very happy with the price break and that it seemed like a fairly quality litter.

The first thing I noticed when using this litter is that the baking soda scent is pungently strong. It’s not necessarily a bad smell, but it is definitely a strong smell that I notice even when walking by the bathroom, where I keep the litter box. And it’s not a good smell, either, so I was immediately frustrated with the fact that this smell lingered in my hallway. Fresh Step has a strong smell when I first pour it in the box, but it quickly dissipates. Not long after pouring the Arm & Hammer cat litter into the box, my cat did his business and went on his way. The smell of the urine combined with the baking soda scent was really terrible in my opinion. Again, not a foul smell, but overpowering and just a terrible mixture of scents. I am not at all happy about ...

• Arm & Hammer Ultra Last Cat Litter with Baking Soda
      the smell, so I scooped every time I noticed it to avoid the weird smell. I still had the lingering baking soda smell, but it was better than the alternative.

The next thing that I really don’t like about this litter is that it’s not nearly as good at clumping. The positive side of this is that the litter isn’t wasted with over-clumping. Fresh Step often clumps more than what is actually used thereby wasting good litter. I have to replace it more frequently! Unfortunately, while it does produce some small clumps, they break apart easily if I hit them with my scooper. There are also patches that simply didn’t clump at all and I just

have small bits of wet/used litter that is much more difficult to scoop up. It does better than some of the bargain brands that my dad has used, but if you are used to Fresh Step or any other litter that clumps really well, Arm & Hammer is a disappointment.

Overall, it’s a moderately effective litter, but it’s neither worth the money nor worth the sacrifice. The smell is unpleasant and the clumping - while better than bargain litters that my father has used in the past - is subpar, especially if you use Fresh Step like I do. I probably wouldn’t buy this again unless I was in a pinch, and I would not recommend it to others.

Taniyah harris says :

re : I was leaving on vacation and wanting to save time, so instead of going from store to store for Fresh Step, I decided to try Arm & Hammer Ultra Last Cat Litter with Baking Soda
That was a good idea that mean you saved gas and used what you had at home. and the stuff you at home didn’t go to waste. i love what you did

ReadingBug says :

I’m sorry the Arm and Hammer Ultra Last cat litter did not work out for you because Arm and Hammer is actually a pretty good brand. I would suggest looking into getting your cat a self cleaning litter box. They are automatic so you don’t have to worry about cleaning up behind your cat, a rake built into the box cleans up behind your cat at various intervals, and a lot of them are odor free. All major stores carry them, but I would go to Petco just because they specialize in animal products or any pet store. They can range from budget friendly to expensive, but I think it’s worth it in the end.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2930061634320430/k2311a0630/6.30.14