Anthony Hemmingway’s Red Tails movie  » Movies  »
  • We only paid $1.20 to rent the movie and I think that it was definitely worth it
  • That being said, I thought that the actors is this film, particularly Cuba Gooding Jr
  • I hated the Airmen’s commanders because they kept sending the men into increasingly dangerous situations because they didn’t want to risk the “other” soldiers and did not consider the Tuskegee Airmen as equals
  • The first 40 minutes or so were kind of boring and my husband and I contemplated turning it off and just watching television

• by Jennifer Davis

My husband and I both love movies that are based partly on historical events so when we saw the advertisement for Red Tails on Red Box we decided that we would rent it as a fun movie for the two of us. We only paid $1.20 to rent the movie and I think that it was definitely worth it. Without revealing too much of the plot; Red Tails centers around the story of the Tuskegee Airmen, a group of courageous WWII African American fighter pilots whose job it was to protect bomber planes and airborne troops from enemy anti-aircraft weapons.

Now I can’t say much as to how historically accurate this movie is,

but I do know that the Tuskegee Airmen were indeed real and very important to the overall strength of the Allied Forces.

That being said, I thought that the actors is this film, particularly Cuba Gooding Jr. and Terrance Howard, did a wonderful job portraying their characters. They really seemed to embrace their characters and the men had such good on screen chemistry that they really came across as brothers fighting overseas. They did a wonderful job of portraying the feelings and emotions that the real Tuskegee Airmen must have felt having to not only battle the Germans but also racism, constant death and destruction, and their own personals demons and feelings to the war and each other.

One thing that I liked about this movie was that while it may not have been historically accurate, the way it was written really made me sympathize with the characters. I hated the Airmen’s commanders because they kept sending the men into increasingly dangerous situations because they didn’t want to risk the “other” soldiers and did not consider the Tuskegee Airmen as equals. It broke my heart when the troop saw their first casualties and how they cried with each other over the loss of their brethren. Finally, I literally cried for joy when the Tuskegee Airmen completed their most dangerous mission and were finally recognized as heroes by both ...

• Anthony Hemmingway's Red Tails movie
      the news media and the Army and commanders that had previously treated them so poorly.

I also thought that the computer generated effects for this movie were great. The details on the planes, the explosions, and the fighting scenes were so well done that I had no idea that they were special effects. I guess I understood that as a rational adult, but while watching the movie I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

The only negative thing about this movie is that I don’t think that it follows history all that much. I watched some of the special features and there was a brief bio of the Tuskegee Airmen which

didn’t exactly follow the movie’s portrayal of events. Also, the movie was a little slow getting started. The first 40 minutes or so were kind of boring and my husband and I contemplated turning it off and just watching television. Ultimately I was glad that I didn’t, but it still was slow going.

Overall, I rate this movie an 8. I took points off for the slow progression of the movie and for the lack of historical significance. I really was hoping that I would see more about the history of the Tuskegee Airmen in the movie. Other than that the movie was great and it is one that my husband and I will likely purchase.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1126061634210530/k2311a0626/6.26.14