The Great Gatsby (Novel) by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Great Gatsby is a well-known classic, more recently popularized by the movie in 2013, and most likely the best book that F
  • Scott Fitzgerald's has ever written (regarding my previous experience with Tender is the Night by the same author)
  • I was first introduced to this book a few years ago by a close friend, who said it was a must read after she noticed that I really enjoyed the classics
  • Since this was a very long time ago, I have a very rough memory of what I thought of the book
  • I would recommend this novel to anybody who can handle the mildly complicated language, because there is a lot of symbolism

• by Mile Sims

The Great Gatsby is a well-known classic, more recently popularized by the movie in 2013, and most likely the best book that F. Scott Fitzgerald’s has ever written (regarding my previous experience with Tender is the Night by the same author). The plot revolves around a man by the name of Jay Gatsby, with Nick Carraway being the narrator and main character of the story. Nick Carraway lives next to Jay Gatsby, who throws top-of-the-line parties every Saturday with all of the fashionable and rich people of the area attending. Nick learns that despite all of Gatsby’s riches and his fancy parties, he is an unhappy man yearning for a forbidden love. This

is a very rough summary of the beginning of the book.

I was first introduced to this book a few years ago by a close friend, who said it was a must read after she noticed that I really enjoyed the classics. So I immediately read it, following her advice. Since this was a very long time ago, I have a very rough memory of what I thought of the book. I believe it was a hint of disappointment, but not because I did not like the book, but because of the dramatic ending to it. I do not want to spoil anything for any future readers so I will not mention it, but

I will warn you it is a little bit depressing. There is also the language of the book that I found a little bit difficult a few years back. I enjoyed The Great Gatsby, but did not fully appreciate it until I reread it a month ago.

My classmates and I were forced to read this book in our English classroom, and from personal experience, many of them did not enjoy it. But that was probably due to the reason that many of the students felt that they were being forced to read, and do not read fiction novels very often. Also due to the fact that nearly the entire class did not ...

• The Great Gatsby (Novel) by F. Scott Fitzgerald
      like the English teacher. Teenagers can get very rebellious.

Disregarding the fact that everybody in the class did not like the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Over the past few years I have improved my English skills and could understand the novel clearly, as opposed to a few years ago when I first read it. It is amazing to see what I actually missed in the novel. F. Scott Fitzgerald seems to have an advanced understanding of people whose minds have been corrupted by greed and unfulfilled dreams. This novel uses Gatsby, a very powerful character, to attack the concept of social classes and shallowness found within riches.

I would recommend this novel to

anybody who can handle the mildly complicated language, because there is a lot of symbolism. Many of my Grade 12 classmates did not understand the novel whatsoever and found it very confusing, but there were a few, including myself, that could fully appreciate the book. It’s not Shakespeare, but prepare yourself.

I give this book a rating of 9. There is nothing that I did not like about it and there is a good reason why it is Fitzgerald’s greatest book. From what I’ve read in the preface, it took a lot of rewriting and editing and rewriting and editing for this author to produce this masterpiece. It is a book you can appreciate.

Azriel says :

I have not read the book but I have watched the movie. If it was close yo the movie in ecery aspect, your review would prove to be true that students may not understand the whole story at face value given that there were indeed a lot of symbolisms and hidden messages in between scenes and conversations. I intend to read this book and will put it up to speed after reading your review. I just need to somehow forget some of the details stuck in my head because of watching the film by Leonardo d’Caprio.

Arianna says :

I read this book and I thought that it was a little boring and I also thought that the movie was a little boring as well. I found the characters a little unlikable and I just ended up getting mad at it. It is an okay book but you can live without reading it.

Andy Brown says :

That happens with a lot of the most famous books. They stay famous for longer than they really deserve, because colleges etc keep on teaching them. I agree with you, I think this is a fairly uninteresting book. Honestly, I’ve read many better and more gripping books than this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1726061634200530/k2311a0626/6.26.14