Mirai Nikki (animation)  » TV  »
  • One of my new favourite Japanese animated series is Mirai Nikki or “Future Diary” as it is known in English
  • However, the most interesting part about it is that the plot for the most part remains unpredictable and you never know which path it will take
  • The characters are all very complex and even better rounded than those I’ve seen in some of the best anime that I’ve watched
  • Nevertheless, it’s not exactly something that I think children would be able to watch
  • I would recommend Mirai Nikki or Future Diary to people who love animated series

• by Redtape

One of my new favourite Japanese animated series is Mirai Nikki or “Future Diary” as it is known in English. When it begins we meet a young man, Yukiteru Amano, or Yuki, whose main past time is observing the world around him and writing a stream of consciousness in a diary on his phone. Yuki has no friends, and fills that void by inventing two imaginary ones, Deus Ex Machina, the god of Space and Time and his helper, Murmur. He doesn’t realise this deity is actually real until Deus Ex Machina informs him one day that he will be a participant in a survival game, whereas the lone survivor will become the next god of Space and Time. As part of the game, the god presents each participant with future diaries, each of which have different purposes and strengths. An entry

with the words “Dead End” would indicate the death of the diary owner, and most times give he or she enough time to dodge it. The diaries and the owners’ lives are linked in the sense that if a person’s diary is destroyed, he or she ceases to exist.

One of the reasons why I started watching Mirai Nikki in the first place was because when I got the description of the plot from someone else, it sounded unique and promising. I’ve heard different people compare it and the characters to that of the anime “Deadman Wonderland”; but I’m unable to confirm or deny that since I only watched about two episodes. The plot has many twists and turns mostly relating to the discovery and encounters with other Future Diary holders, most of whom are trying to kill Yuki. However, the most interesting part about it is that the plot for the most part remains unpredictable and you never know which path it will take. Even the minutest unrecognisable detail in it can be a major factor later on.

The characters are all very complex and even better rounded than those I’ve seen in some of the best anime that I’ve watched. For example, one of the things that makes the series so interesting is the reason that the majority of the future diary holders are psychotic, deranged or broken in some way. However, many of their stories are expanded upon so that we know exactly why they behave the ways that they do without excusing their actions. I was especially affected by the death of the sixth diary holder especially after recognising her rape and the death and betrayal of her parents had a lot ...

• Mirai Nikki (animation)
      to do with the person she had become.

I also have a love hate relationship with Yuno Gasai, the second diary holder. Yuki proclaims her as his girlfriend and possesses some feelings for her, but her obsession with Yuki and her tendency to get into a murderous rage especially when she thinks that she is faced with a threat from a member of the same sex makes her one of the most dangerous persons in the series.

When I started watching Mirai Nikki, my first impression was that it would be a children’s show, a little like Sailor Moon, or Tenchi Muyo or something like that, since it seems fairly tame at first. However, it soon progresses to something a little more mature with the violence, murder and even nudity of some of the animated characters. Nevertheless, it’s not exactly something that

I think children would be able to watch.

The best thing about watching Mirai Nikki is that it is a psychological thriller and there is never a dull moment. I haven’t gone through more than about 10 episodes so far, but all of them have been riveting and kept me on the edge of my seat.

Perhaps the only thing that I wasn’t too satisfied with were the drawings. I’ve become so used to seeing more detailed drawings in a lot of anime that I’ve watched, that I really didn’t like it at first. However, after I stuck with it, I got used it it after a while.

I would recommend Mirai Nikki or Future Diary to people who love animated series. It might not have as much action as some of them, but the plot and the characters make up for everything.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1025061634120430/k2311a0625/6.25.14