Sony DSC-W830B Camera-20MP
  • The awesome thing about it is that it's only 98 dollars from Wal-Mart, and it definitely won't break the bank
  • It's probably not the best option for an advanced photographer, but it's an ideal basic camera, and despite it's shortcomings, it does produce exceptional photos
  • I like it because it's a definite time-saver
  • To me it's only a minor issue, but it's worth mentioning

• by John

The w830B does lack some of the features that you’ll get with some of the higher-end Sony cameras, and although it’s a bargain camera, many of it’s features are sub-par . The awesome thing about it is that it’s only 98 dollars from Wal-Mart, and it definitely won’t break the bank. It’s probably not the best option for an advanced photographer, but it’s an ideal basic camera, and despite it’s shortcomings, it does produce exceptional photos. It’s a 20MP camera, and photos have a superb, in-depth contrast that’s worth commending.

The LCD is definitely a disappointing aspect. The integrated screen

appears slightly streaky, but this doesn’t happen when viewing photos from a PC. Considering that it’s a 20MP device, I would love to have USB 3.0 compatibility, but that’s not an option on the W830B. USB 3.0 would be ideal because most of my pics are 30MB, and on average it takes about 1 minute to sync about 10 photos, which is a bit unsatisfying. However, if you want to purchase this camera, to me it’s not a deal-breaker because of course you can use the SD card to send photos to your PC. On the topic
      of synchronization, I should mention that although there is a software disc included, my PC actually detects it without installing any software, which is a plus.

The usage time is pretty sub-standard, particularly when recording videos. I tend to get about 25-30 minutes of usage time when shooting videos. However, for pictures it’s about 80 minutes or so. For images, I do use the high quality setting, which probably contributes to the lack of significant usage time, but it shouldn’t have this huge of an impact. When I initially purchased my SD card there were issues with ...

• Sony DSC-W830B Camera-20MP
      getting my PC to detect it. After checking the settings, USB storage was actually off. However, after changing the setting it worked. If you encounter this you’ll have to go to settings, main settings, USB connect, and then change the mode to storage.

One of the more unique shooting features that I admire about the W830B are the scene selection modes. Instead of having to individually change settings based on your scene, it actually provides a selection of frequently used scenes. FYI, you can access scene selection by going to menu, and then choose ’scene selection mode’. A

few of the options are beach, pet, and gourmet, just to list a few. I like it because it’s a definite time-saver. Due to what’s probably a glitch in the software, the time-stamp works at times, and sometimes it doesn’t. To me it’s only a minor issue, but it’s worth mentioning.

The user-interface is actually quite convenient! The casing is made of thick material, and it’s pretty durable. The sleek casing is exceptional when shooting. After using it I can say that it’s essentially scratch-resistant, which is a plus. However, altogether the W830B is sub-standard, and it’s lacking in several areas.

Akhil says :

Seriously, I get better photos from my Le Eco 2 mobile’s 16 mp camera. In the bright sunny day this Sony camera works well but in low light, it just gives up.

If you can afford, go for a Slr/DSLR cameras. Or in case if your budget is Rs 8-9000/- go for a mobile phone with good camera. Perhaps mobile will cost you 2-3 thousand rupees more but that will solve your many other problems as well.

Though the picture quality of this camera is not bad still I expected a lot more from Sony. For me it was a waste of money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4325061634040430/k2311a0625/6.25.14