Acer H5380BD Home Projector  » Electronics  »
  • While in the market for a projector, I bought the H5380BD particularly because of the price, but it has actually proven to be an elite projector
  • Relating to the price I should probably mention that I purchased it from Office Depot, and I paid 400 dollars for it
  • I would definitely suggest using HDMI if possible
  • The H5380BD does have internal speakers, which are a decent add-on, but I use it in a large room, so I prefer to use my external Bose speakers instead
  • I've used several and this thing definitely amongst the best

• by John

While in the market for a projector, I bought the H5380BD particularly because of the price, but it has actually proven to be an elite projector. Movies have a nice theather-like quality that’s worth commending. I mainly use it to watch movies, but of course you can use it for other purposes. Relating to the price I should probably mention that I purchased it from Office Depot, and I paid 400 dollars for it. By comparison it’s on the lower-end in terms of prices, but it’s not lacking in quality.

To add context, I use the HDMI connection to connect it to my TV and my PC. I’ve used VGA, but HDMI provides about 2 times the quality that you’ll get

with VGA. I would definitely suggest using HDMI if possible. DVI is not compatible with the H5380BD, but it’s actually not necessary with the addition of HDMI. There’s no difference in quality, and as with DVI, HDMI provides video-only, if that’s your preference. At 720p the resolution isn’t too bad. Of course I would prefer either 1080i or 1080p, but I use it mostly Netflix, so 720p is sufficient enough. The contrast is truly stunning with a ratio of 17,000:1, the aspect ratio is 16:9. On-screen objects appear with profound depth that’s captivating. The H5380BD does have internal speakers, which are a decent add-on, but I use it in a large room, so I prefer to use my external Bose speakers instead. The speaker quality is actually pretty decent, but they’re definitely not intended for use in large areas. FYI, it has a 3.5mm slot for external speakers.

I can’t say this about many projectors, but the H5380BD has a very user-friendly interface! There’s an on-screen installation that essentially walks you through configuration, and without hassle, you can get top-quality display. The OSD conveniently available by just going to menu. It has built-in page buttons to allow you to flip through computer pages without using your keyboard. It’s not all that much of a benefit for me because I use it predominantly for movies, but it assuredly comes in handy for presentations. It actually took me some time ...

• Acer H5380BD Home Projector
      to get this feature to because it doesn’t work via the HDMI or VGA cable. You have to connect the projector to your PC using a mini-usb, and unfortunately this doesn’t come in the box. One minor downside that I would mention in regards to the remote is that it has a lot of buttons that are unnecessary for the H5380BD. Apparently Acer uses this same remote with other versions, so features such as back, component, play and others that are not included with the H5380BD are placed on the remote.

After using the H5380BD for about 8 months, I have not noticed anything that should defer anyone from purchasing this thing, but there have been a few nicks. On

HDMI there can at times be a delay of about 30 seconds before it detects the signal. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it definitely not an issue with my video card because it happens with my desktop and laptop. It has continued to happen after installing the updated firmware, but to me it’s only a minor glitch. The filter is about 2 inches, and it has to be cleaned quite often-about once everything 3 months. Asides from these, there are no other quirks or downsides.

I would definitely suggest the Acer H5380BD to anyone that’s in the market for a projector because of it’s exceptional quality, and the bargain price! I’ve used several and this thing definitely amongst the best.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1623061633890430/k2311a0623/6.23.14