Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance Free Body Wash
  • My legs itched so badly the next day I thought I would go crazy with scratching
  • I knew that I would at least need some calamine lotion so I headed over to Wal-Mart where I found this product
  • However, I also read that it contained fruit and leaf extracts and colloidal oatmeal which I had heard was a natural remedy for severe itching so I decided that even if it helped a little the price would be worth it
  • The body wash was extremely soothing to my skin and I noticed when I got out of the shower that the itching was significantly less and more bearable
  • Despite my concerns, I would still recommend it for people with sensitive skin and for those who experience skin irritations or poison ivy

• by Jennifer Davis

I have sensitive skin that can react harshly to body soaps, shampoos, and cosmetics. However, it can also react harshly to things like poison ivy which I happened to find myself in last fall while taking my children hiking along a nature trail. My legs itched so badly the next day I thought I would go crazy with scratching. My legs were red and enflamed and had a raised rash all over them due to the poison ivy. I knew that I would at least need some calamine lotion so I headed over to Wal-Mart where I found this product.

I had not intended to buy any body wash as I had plenty as it was. However, the words “Skin Relief” and “Fragrance Free” caught my attention. I read the back of the bottle and it was supposed to help relieve itchiness and redness

associated with skin irritations and allergic reactions. It was a little expensive at a little over $6.00 for a 12 fl oz bottle, but I already knew that Aveeno products were expensive and so it wasn’t really a shock to me.

However, I also read that it contained fruit and leaf extracts and colloidal oatmeal which I had heard was a natural remedy for severe itching so I decided that even if it helped a little the price would be worth it. I also figured that since it claimed to be scent free, soap free, dye free and hypoallergenic it would probably be a little gentler on my skin than the body wash I was using at the time (Olay).

I used the product for the first time that night it the shower and I was surprised at two things: 1. How well it worked

and 2. How unpleasant the smell was.

To be fair, the product worked like a dream. Even in a warm shower, the product was relatively cool on my skin so it seemed to immediately soothe my extremely upset and red skin. It was nice and creamy in texture so a little bit of the product went along way. Just a little bit (just less than the size of a quarter) on a soft natural loofa sponge (recommended by the pharmacist) covered my whole body in a creamy mixture of suds and warm water. The body wash was extremely soothing to my skin and I noticed when I got out of the shower that the itching was significantly less and more bearable. I still used the calamine lotion to get rid of the rest of the itching, but I think that the body wash ...

• Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance Free Body Wash
      went along way to soothing the skin as well.

With the help of the body wash, the rash was gone in less than a week and half so I didn’t have to suffer for too long. However, I was and am extremely grateful for the added relief that the product gave me. I still have it around the house and use it on skin irritations for the whole family. It seems to really work well for the kids when they have insect bites that cause irritation as well.

That being said, this product certainly had a smell and it was not pleasant. It was extremely sharp and smell a bit earthy and chemical like. I was completely shocked to find an Aveeno product that smelled so strongly. All of the Aveeno products that I have tried have had very pleasant smells except for this one

and it was not a welcome change.

The other thing that I had an issue with was its claim to be soap free when it contains sodium laurel sulfate. I really feel like claims of “soap free” should only be made when products don’t contain products like SLS. I believe that Aveeno’s Baby Products are SLS free, but I am not sure. It really probably isn’t a big deal but since it is an ingredient in making soap, it makes me wonder if soap is in this product after all. Mostly, it’s just confusing.

Overall, I give this product a 7 because it works wonders for irritated skin, but I deducted points for the harsh smell, confusing “soap free” claims, and its expensive price. Despite my concerns, I would still recommend it for people with sensitive skin and for those who experience skin irritations or poison ivy.

Melissa M. says :

My daughter Serenity is 10 years old, and when she was around 6 months we realized she had a bad case of eczema. She would have really red patches on her neck, in the crevices of her arms, behind her knees, on her forehead, and on her back. First I used Eucerin and that did not help. After that I tried Cetaphil which only helped for a few hours. One day my husband brought the Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance Free Body Wash and it soothed her so much. It also relieved my worries. She felt less scaly and flaky. I live by this product and recommend it to everyone I know.

Jennifer Davis replies :

I love this as a summer body wash for my kids. Particularly after sun exposure because it cleans but isnt harsh either.

chris says :

I suffer from Eczema and I will usually break out on my arms, neck, legs, and my side. I was using the CeraVe cream which gave me some temporary relief but not really that good. My wife found the Aveeno Skin relief Fragrance free body wash for me to try. The day after using this product my eczema had started to clear up. I was so relieved because I did not have to be embarrassed by my flakey red skin patches.

Jennifer Davis replies :

I am so glad that you were able to find relief with this product. I love it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3123061633830430/k2311a0623/6.23.14