Sensodyne Toothpaste plus Extra Whitening  » Health  »
  • The toothpaste was a little expensive I thought at almost $5.00 for a 4 oz tube
  • I expected it to be a little cheaper, but since it was recommended by my dentist I decided to go ahead and buy the product anyway
  • I also did not like that the Sensodyne has a screw on top as opposed to the pop-top that I prefer
  • Personally, I prefer the pop-top because it stays connected to the tube and for both me and my kids, it solves the problem of the toothpaste drying out and getting crusty
  • All in all, I would recommend this product for those who have sensitive teeth

• by Jennifer Davis

Last summer I had gum surgery that left my teeth very sensitive to cold and hot for several weeks. I was using my regular Crest Pro-Namel plus Whitening toothpaste, but using it really made my teeth hurt, especially when I used my Sonicare toothbrush. After several days of extreme sensitivity, I made an appointment with my dentist to discuss what I should do.

His first suggestion was to stop using the power toothbrush (guess I should have figured that one), and the second was to switch to a toothpaste made for sensitive teeth. His personal suggestion was Sensodyne Extra Whiting Toothpaste. Willing to do anything to stop the constant pain whenever I ate or drank something, I went right over to Wal-Mart to pick up a tube.

The toothpaste was a little expensive I thought at almost $5.00 for a 4 oz tube. I expected it to be a little cheaper, but

since it was recommended by my dentist I decided to go ahead and buy the product anyway. I did however, get the 40z tube since it was the smallest and the most inexpensive.

I used the product for the first time that night and then three times daily for four weeks until the tube ran out. After using a whole 4 oz tube, I can say that the product is okay, but that I much prefer my Crest.

The Sensodyne had a pretty good consistency similar to that of most toothpastes, but it was a little gritty for my tastes. My Crest Pro-Namel is very smooth, and the Sensodyne seemed rather chalky in comparison. I also did not like that the Sensodyne has a screw on top as opposed to the pop-top that I prefer. I had screw tops because I have lots several down the drain and there is no telling how many my kids have lost. I had to be very careful when I removed the lid, because it was small and would be easily lost. Personally, I prefer the pop-top because it stays connected to the tube and for both me and my kids, it solves the problem of the toothpaste drying out and getting crusty.

That being said, I do have to admit that the Sensodyne really did a great job getting rid of sensitivity in my mouth. Within just 24 hours after first using the product I drank a glass of water and noticed that my teeth were significantly less painful. It still hurt a little but not enough for me to drop the cup and wince in pain like the other times. After two weeks the sensitivity was completely gone in relation to hot foods and drinks and barely noticeable in relation to cold ones. Four weeks ...

• Sensodyne Toothpaste plus Extra Whitening
      saw all my sensitivity gone in regards to any temperature.

As far as cleaning my teeth, I have to say that I prefer my Crest. It could be just a personal preference, but honestly even with the manual toothbrush (of which I am not a huge fan as I prefer my Sonicare) the Crest seemed to do a much better job at cleaning my teeth and getting rid of bad breath. The Sensodyne cleaned okay, but left a gritty texture and taste in my mouth that was a bit like trying to chew sand. My Crest always leaves my teeth smooth and my mouth feeling tingly fresh.

As a whitening toothpaste, the Sensodyne was fine but not as good as my Crest. However, I did not really expect it to be since it is a toothpaste for sensitivity and some whitening products are known to cause problems for people with sensitive

teeth. Honestly, my teeth stayed white the four weeks that I used the Sensodyne so I think that it did a pretty good job of at least maintaining the luster of my teeth. I didn’t expect more than that and I was pretty happy.

Overall, I rate this product as a 7 because of its excellent relief from pain due to sensitivity but also because as a whitening sensitivity toothpaste, I think it worked pretty well. However, I did take a few points off because I expected a better clean than what I got and I was not happy with the chalky texture and taste. Also, I deducted a few points for the screw on cap and the relatively expensive price tag.

All in all, I would recommend this product for those who have sensitive teeth. It does a great job with relieving the pain and helping to prohibit pain in the future.

cpy says :

re : I also did not like that the Sensodyne has a screw on top as opposed to the pop-top that I prefer
Hi,

I was recommended Sensodyne by my dentist too. It works for for me.

However, the Sensodyne tube I bought came with a pop-top, I don’t know mine is the larger tube so maybe they don’t make pop-top for smaller tube size?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3423061633820430/k2311a0623/6.23.14