HughesNet Gen 4 Satellite Internet
  • I've been a user of HughesNet since 2005 and Gen 4 is definitely the best product they've offered
  • Of course with all satellite internet providers there is the issue of latency, but latency doesn't happen as much with Gen 4
  • The video quality is amazing and there's no delay
  • This is not something that can be avoided, but I like the options that have been added to Gen 4 that allow the user to monitor and test their connection
  • Altogether, Hughesnet Gen 4 is awesome, and I would greatly recommend it

• by John

Being someone that’s from a rural area, I’ve always had to receive internet via satellite because other options are either unavailable or too expensive. I’ve been a user of HughesNet since 2005 and Gen 4 is definitely the best product they’ve offered. Although, it’s offered via satellite it’s not impacted frequently by weather.

Of course with all satellite internet providers there is the issue of latency, but latency doesn’t happen as much with Gen 4. With all other satellite providers that I’ve used internet games were not an option because of the latency, but that has not been the case with this

newer version. FYI, I have tested the latency and it’s usually 600ms, and you can’t expect more from internet via satellite. It’s awesome because it not only works with internet games, but it also works with video chats. The video quality is amazing and there’s no delay. To add some context I should mention that I have the HT1100 modem, because there are a variety of modems available. In regards to the HT1100, a nice caveat is that it doesn’t take much to attach it to a wireless router. If you’ve used a satellite modem, you’ve probably
      dealt with the difficulty of configuring a router, but the HT1100 actually defaults to the router and works immediately. Of course you have to create the WI-FI network, but there are no other settings required.

Gen 4 gives you the option of choosing from four available plans. The plans are priced from 40-130 dollars. I have no complaints about the prices, but there should probably be more plans available. For my usage, I chose the the 10Mbps option, which is 59.99 per month. However, there is one caveat relating to the monthly prices. If you don’t purchase your ...

• HughesNet Gen 4 Satellite Internet
      equipment you will actually have to pay 10 dollars more per month to lease your equipment.

As this is a satellite provider, there are times when the connection diminishes or disconnects. This is not something that can be avoided, but I like the options that have been added to Gen 4 that allow the user to monitor and test their connection. You don’t have to install any additional software as you would have to do with previous versions. This software is embedded into the modem itself, which is a plus. To access the software you just have to open your browser,

and access Hughesnet system. It not only allows you to do connection tests, but you can also monitor your data usage. However, I should mention that Gen 4 provides a great connection, probably as good as you can expect via satellite. Disconnects are minimum when compared to others, and it loads webpages efficiently, and without delay. According to Hughesnet it should load at 10Mbps, and although I’m usually getting about 8Mbps, I have not complaints because it’s sufficient enough.

Altogether, Hughesnet Gen 4 is awesome, and I would greatly recommend it! It’s awesome, without many of the technical glitches that are associated with others.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2320061633770230/k2311a0620/6.20.14