Night of the Living Dead, horror film by Tom Savini
2.0
  • When I first saw this movie back in junior high I thought it was great, but now I'm just not seeing it
  • I like it too, but I just explained a good bit
  • I bought the best version out their and there is nothing
  • Watch the original Night of the Living Dead first, if you like that one then you can consider checking this one out
  • One thing people might like a lot is this one is in color, I know how some people can't stand black and white films

• by Sami Oughanem

I got bored the other night and picked a random DVD from my collection, by closing my eyes, opening up a page from my booklet, and pointed. The end result was the Night of the Living Dead, the 90s version. When I first saw this movie back in junior high I thought it was great, but now I’m just not seeing it. Am I missing something or is this movie really not that great?

For starters it had a made for television feel. The movie just didn’t have the same feel as the original one does. I didn’t like how the zombies looked, they looked human to me. Some of the zombies had some blood on them and others had old looking skin, which I guess was suppose to indicate that they were a zombie. Romero’s zombies were bad, they used different shades of grey face paint. To me those were zombies, I could tell they weren’t human, here I just wasn’t feeling the whole zombie vibe. Tom Savini is an all star, he did all the make up work

for Romero’s zombie movies, plus he did a lot more horror movies. I just don’t think his idea with the zombies in this one was great, big let down.

If you’ve seen the original Night of the Living Dead then you know the plot to this one. However if you are living in a cave and never seen it, the only knowledge you have about Romero is Hollywood remade his movie, Dawn of the Dead, then I will give you a little history lesson. Night of the Living Dead takes place in an old house for the entire movie. Barbara sees her brother die in the graveyard, where they were visiting their dead mother. A zombie gets to him, you see panic in Barbara, he dies, locked in a car, zombie attacking with a brick, crash into a tree, Barbara ends up in the house. Did you like my horrible written sentence back there? I like it too, but I just explained a good bit.

In the house there is a family of three and a couple. Ben, whom finds the

house too, ends up in here and well and gets everybody to board up the house. Throughout the rest of the movie they have to find out a way to get to safety, walking is too dangerous. The new version offers it’s most unique changes here, mainly with the gore. Right now when I see the violence I feel it is pretty tame, but when I watched the short deleted “Behind the Scenes” on the movie, Savini was explaining how he had to cut so much, just to make the movie Rated R. They show two of the scenes he had to cut here and they didn’t seem too gory either, but Savini let’s everybody know that this didn’t piss him off, he feels the movie is better with out it. Wait, a guy that made all his money make people sick to their stomachs didn’t mind loosing all the gore? Strange, but he says it is better having people imagine what should have been there. I’m not buying it, but there is nothing you can do about it.

To ...

• Night of the Living Dead, horror film by Tom Savini
      expand on the deleted scenes a little my version of the DVD doesn’t come with any deleted scenes. I bought the best version out their and there is nothing. Like I said these scenes that were cut didn’t seem bad at all. True they only showed two of them, real quick, but Savini said the one, where a zombies head gets blown off, was the worst. To me it was nothing compared to what you see today. The one thing that this movie did bring into the mainstream, as stated in the commentary, was seeing somebody get shot without any clothes on. I’m sure you can argue this one, but I’ll let the crew of the 90s version of Night of the Living Dead have their moment. I could be wrong, but you would think before 1990 that some movie would show a bullet hitting some bodies chest, with blood.

Gore isn’t everything really, maybe in zombie movies it is, but the lamest part to this movie was the acting. I wasn’t feeling it from anyone but Tony Todd (Ben)

and Patricia Tallman (Barbara). All the other actors, if you want to call them that, made this movie seem too cheesy. Night of the Living Dead seemed like one of those bad horror/sci-fi movies the Sci-Fi Network makes with the big snakes or alligators. Either nobody want to really do this movie or this whole thing was done in one take. I’m sure the budget was small here, but maybe Savini could have got more money to re-shoot some of these scenes, the acting was awful towards the middle.

The 90s version of Night of the Living Dead was good in the 90s, but now it’s showing its age. Romero’s classic movie wasn’t ruined here, it kept with the same ideas and changed a few things (the ending mainly), but it doesn’t compare to the original. Watch the original Night of the Living Dead first, if you like that one then you can consider checking this one out. One thing people might like a lot is this one is in color, I know how some people can’t stand black and white films.

Andrew Leaither says :

The Night of The Living Dead. I know I am going to watch this movie. Maybe even get my hands the DVD and add it to my growing collection. Night of the Living Dead seems just like the perfect movie that I need I need to have a great scare once i a while.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1113061633270230/k2311a0613/6.13.14