Outlast, PC Game [Spoiler Free]
  • The game was released in the later half of 2013 by independent developer Red Barrels and unfortunately, though I had planned to pick it up on release date, I only got around to playing it within the past month or so

by Ben Harvey

So, I will try to keep this review as spoiler free as I possibly can.

I recently played an absolutely terrifying horror game called Outlast for the PC and PlayStation 4 that I can quite easily say was one of the most horrifying experiences I’ve endured in a long while, at least one with plenty of toilet breaks. The game was released in the later half of 2013 by independent developer Red Barrels and unfortunately, though I had planned to pick it up on release date, I only got around to playing it within the past month or so.

In Outlast you play as a fellow known as Miles Upshur. Miles is a journalist who received a tip via an e-mail about evil things going in Mount Massive Asylum.

God, that is a terrible name.

After arriving at Mount Massive, Miles works his way through the side entrance to find a room full of severed heads sitting on shelves as if he had found the museum of the Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run. Not long after this you run into a strapping young lad named Chris Walker.

• Outlast, PC Game [Spoiler Free]
  • Just look at him, he’s beautiful.

• Outlast, PC Game [Spoiler Free]
  • After being confronted by Walker and jumpscares on more than one occasion, you are drugged by an inmate who believes he is a priest and are thrown into a prison block. It is here that you meet two chaps who both have their wilkinsons flopping about in the wind more often than not, and they want to kill you but who doesn’t in this place?

• Outlast, PC Game [Spoiler Free]
  • After escaping the prison block and being chased by a couple of cannibalistic buttplugs with machetes, you are saved by another handsome fellow that goes by Dr. Trager, who then decides to capture you and tease you with the possibility of escape. Turns out he’s not actually a very good guy, or doctor for that matter.

• Outlast, PC Game [Spoiler Free]
  • After a fire, more Chris and of course running, you end up outside, or into the back yard at least. This is where you have your first run in with the Walrider (Tony Hawk), the spooky scary ghost that caused all the spooky scary stuff in this spooky scary place. What a guy.

• Outlast, PC Game [Spoiler Free]
  • I can’t really go much further than this into the story without spoiling things, so I’ll just leave you with some horribleness and get on with the conclusion.

Now, while this game had it’s massive variety of terrifying moments, and while it did hit most fear factors that horror games can; like atmosphere, jumpscares, and by god in hell getting chased by the biggest flipping guy I’ve ever seen, I feel as though it was trying to scare me too often. There were hardly any moments where I was able to catch my breath and just thank the night-vision heavens that I managed to get out of the past situation alive before being thrown head first into another. Granted, the constant sense of danger did make me feel like the place was truly condemned and that you’ll never be safe while you’re within a two mile radius of it, but just from a more meta standpoint, I felt like the game itself could have used more downtime. The game does have a solid play through time for an indie game though, took me about 6 hours.

Either way, I went through seven pairs of underwear playing it so 7/10 it is.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2811061633080130/k2311a0611/6.11.14