Diary of the Dead, horror film  » Movies  »
2.0
  • When Romero has nobody pressuring him with his films the finished product is usually amazing
  • When I first saw this film I thought it was a breakthrough movie in the Dead series
  • Once the movie sat with me for awhile I decided to give it another chance
  • In Land of the Dead it seemed like the zombies evolved and I know this is what Romero wanted to show
  • I think it is an insult to fans that all of these featurettes were still in their standard format

• by Sami Oughanem

George A. Romero is known for his Dead series. When Romero has nobody pressuring him with his films the finished product is usually amazing. With nobody breathing down his neck with his fifth Dead movie will long time fans find a reason to adventure with the living dead again?

The movie begins with a group of students filming a Mummy horror movie for college credit at the University of Pittsburgh. While filming, they begin to hear radio reports of just a few isolated incidents of people who were thought to be dead suddenly rising up and attacking anyone nearby.

Initially, some of the group thought it was just the media overreacting. But with more reports coming in, the group begins to get worried. The token rich kid and his girlfriend decide to leave for his home in Philadelphia while the

rest pile into their motor home and start heading east to try and make it to their families.

When I first saw this film I thought it was a breakthrough movie in the Dead series. Once the movie sat with me for awhile I decided to give it another chance. I can honestly say now that Diary of the Dead really isn’t that great. George A. Romero has managed to turn his series into a joke. I’m sorry but this does not feel like a proper Dead film, I have no idea what Romero was thinking.

In Land of the Dead it seemed like the zombies evolved and I know this is what Romero wanted to show. When you watch Diary of the Dead it seems like the last film didn’t happen. All of the Dead movies seem to build off of each other but this one just takes a few steps back. Did Romero forget what he did in Land of the Dead?

Too many of the sequences in Diary feel like a big joke. Hey wouldn’t it be great to have a deaf guy in the movie that killed zombies? Even better let’s make him Amish too. Too many of these things are in the movie, but when you have the film crew constantly caring about viewers on the Internet with their documentary you can’t help but laugh at the movie.

Oh yeah there is a clown zombie in Diary also…

The video is what you would expect. Diary really should not have been put on blu-ray. This movie was filmed with a low budget and too many scenes were filmed through an actual camcorder. No matter what you ...

• Diary of the Dead, horror film
      do the picture won’t look any better.

The video just jerks around way too many also. I only noticed any real clearness during death sequences. It sort of makes you wonder if this film was only put on blu-ray to show off cool death scenes.

Diary of the Dead has a TrueHD soundtrack; however there are more than enough points on this disc where I heard different clicking noises. I don’t know if this is because of the camcorder or not, but I think it is very annoying.

All of the extras on this disc were seen on the DVD version, plus all of them are in the same format. Thankfully the commentary saves the disaster known as the extras on the blu-ray. Romero and crew get down to the bone on some of Diary’s scenes. I really enjoyed listening to

this track but it just made me want to hear commentary on the other Dead movies again because Diary is just not any good.

All of the extras are just behind the scenes featurettes, plus there is the MySpace contest winner (waste of time). Honestly all of these extras are a waste of time like I said before. I think it is an insult to fans that all of these featurettes were still in their standard format. If you own the DVD then there is no need to buy this.

I see no need to buy this again if you already own the DVD. The movie doesn’t seem to be in true HD format, both in the audio and video categories. Nothing on this disc is worth the price, pick up the DVD instead if you must own all of the Dead films.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116061632680830/k2311a066/6.6.14