3 Days to Kill (movie)  » Movies  »
  • I decided to take the movie home and watch it since it looked like it might have a fairly good plot, and I have a lot of faith in the actor Kevin Costner
  • I still didn’t think it was amazing, but it is definitely something that I might recommend to a lot of people who like both drama and thrillers
  • As I mentioned this movie was surprisingly good even though it wasn’t necessarily amazing
  • Next, I thought that the significance of the character Vivi was a bit confusing

• by Redtape

I was a little surprised that I didn’t hear anything about the movie “3 Days to Kill” until after it was released on Blu-ray some time later. I decided to take the movie home and watch it since it looked like it might have a fairly good plot, and I have a lot of faith in the actor Kevin Costner. To be honest, while I expected the movie to be good, I didn’t expect that it would be the action packed type that I would watch in the movies. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it and found it to be much better than I expected. I still didn’t think it was amazing, but it is definitely something that I might recommend to a lot of people who like both drama and thrillers.

In 3 Days to Kill, an experienced CIA agent Ethan Renner is working on a

case to capture an international criminal only known as the “Albino”. The criminal is so perceptive and dangerous that they have to get a particularly refined team to intercept him, but most of them end up dying and the only one who gets close enough is Ethan Renner. The catch though is that just as Renner is about to take him out, he collapses and the Albino takes the opportunity to escape. Renner is later diagnosed with terminal brain cancer where he has just a few months to live. He receives an early retirement and tries to mend things with his ex-wife Christine and estranged teenaged daughter, Zoey before his time runs out. His ex-wife is a bit hesitant but tells him that he will only be able to mend things with the daughter if he stops working for the CIA. However, he breaks his promise when a mysterious woman Vivi recruits him to kill a man only known as the “Wolf” with the promise of a little known experimental drug that might buy him more time to spend with his family.

As I mentioned this movie was surprisingly good even though it wasn’t necessarily amazing. I felt that the first part of the movie made up for the lack of action scenes throughout especially when Renner was trying to patch things up with his family. There was also a fair amount of comic relief which helped take off some of the burden of an otherwise weighty plot.

What I didn’t like about this movie most of all was that it was cliché. It possessed several elements that I’ve come to associate with a lot of b-rated action flicks and that is never good in my books. For example, there is the fact that the main character was married but ...

• 3 Days to Kill (movie)
      is now estranged from his family as a result of his job. I can list several movies even recent ones, such as Taken and White House Down with that exact same background. The only thing that was different about Renner was that he was terminally ill.

There were also some things that didn’t make sense about the plot to me. One of the main ones is that Renner, who was given very little time to live manages to go on one last mission despite that involves chasing people and fighting despite his rapidly declining health. I didn’t know much about terminal brain cancer before watching the movie, but even then, I figured that Renner must have been plagued with symptoms such as having headaches, confusion, physical weakness and a few other obvious symptoms that would be consistent with someone having a “sick brain”. However, up to even before he got the

drug, Renner seemed to be healthier with much more stamina than me, someone in my twenties. I’ve never seen anything more ridiculous. To make it even worse, he wasn’t even receiving proper treatment for his condition.

Next, I thought that the significance of the character Vivi was a bit confusing. I couldn’t quite undersand what her purpose was for even though she was the one who recruited Renner to kill the Wolf. To make things even worse I thought that her personality and reactions were a bit confusing in some situations.

Recommending “3 Days to Kill” is a bit hard since I feel like the writer or writers didn’t really do their research and would have been better off sticking to a more simple storyline. Nevertheless, if you’re capable of keeping a very open mind like me, you might just enjoy it. I’ve seen better and I’ve also seen much much worse.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 114061632600530/k2311a064/6.4.14