Cattleya Orchid  » Other  »
  • I really do not have much of a green thumb unfortunately, so my mother takes care of all of the orchids and I sit back and look at how pretty they are
  • So I bought one for myself, and they called it a star orchid
  • I prefer poofy flowers, because they're more extravagant
  • It cost me about $20 to buy, which is the average price for an orchid here in lower Canada
  • It's a pretty interesting gift, and will leave your house smelling nice

• by Mile Sims

I find that orchids are probably the most elegant and delicate of flowers, and I find them to be so charming. The orchid, especially, is a very hard plant to take care of and is normally for the more advanced gardener. I really do not have much of a green thumb unfortunately, so my mother takes care of all of the orchids and I sit back and look at how pretty they are.

Recently, I went to a greenhouse where they sold many many types of flowers, and orchids were predominant in that plant. I feel like it’s very rare to see pretty flowers like that where I live, so I obviously found the orchids to be rather attractive. So I bought one for myself, and they called it a “star orchid.” I did some research on the flower later, and

it actually turned out to be a hybird of this type of orchid, called Cattleya.

So this flower looked exactly, if not very similar, to the picture that I have uploaded for you to see. As you can see, it is not a star orchid, because those orchids actually look like starfish (with long and thin petals, not really my preference). I really loved the shape of it compared to a traditional orchid. It seemed to be more full, like a bloomed rose or something of the sort. I prefer “poofy” flowers, because they’re more extravagant. And if you want something extravagant, then this is the flower to get.

But what really attracted me to this flower was the smell. There was a section dedicated to this cattleya orchid, and you could smell it from across the room (or at least I could). I feel like it was the most pleasant smell I have ever experienced coming from a flower. It was strong as well. I have never seen that come from an orchid, so I had to have it. It cost me about $20 to buy, which is the average price for an orchid here in lower Canada.

So I brought it home safe and sound, and my mother dealt with giving the plant its orchid food, and draining out the roots (by running it gently under cool water in the shower, making sure to get most the water out of the pot). It was a really healthy plant, and the colours of the leaves and the petals seemed so vibrant and healthy. I believe the one flower it had on it lasted a few weeks before it fell off (which is ...

• Cattleya Orchid
      normal for a store-bought orchid).

However, I had a problem with it. The flower still has not grown back. The leaves of the plant are still a vibrant green, and the roots seem healthy, but the flower still has not grown back. It has been about six months and nothing has happened. I am not completely sure if this is normal, but my mother’s traditional orchid plants have their flowers grow back in about four months after they fall out, and their flowers last about a month.

It really is a shame that beautiful, fragrant flower has not grown back yet. But it was really good while it lasted. I do not know if it is just my plant that is doing this, or if it is common for this to happen. I’m guessing that maybe it is a seasonal flower and

am eagerly expecting it to grow back in a few months. If it does not, then I guess I have a pretty pot of vibrant green leaves and roots. That’s not too bad.

I give this plant a rating of 9. It held up pretty well, and the flower was so fragrant and beautiful. I would recommend it to anybody who is very patient for the flower to grow back. Try to get one that has just barely bloomed so the flower will last longer, and make sure that the leaves are a vibrant green and that the roots are not shriveled. This will ensure a healthy plant. And DO NOT water it, drain it.

It’s a pretty interesting gift, and will leave your house smelling nice. If you have a green thumb and collect plants, then get a Cattleya orchid for sure.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 122061632170430/k2311a062/6.2.14