The Raven (movie)
  • When I first saw the trailer for the movie “The Raven” I thought that it seemed like it had a lot of potential
  • I love both historical films and thrillers and so I realised I had to watch it once it was released on Blu Ray
  • I think that this film is just one of the few examples why I might encourage people to judge a film or product for themselves
  • Nevertheless, I believe that this is one of those movies that is only very loosely based on reality where you will need to just let go of the facts you know in order to like it
  • I might not have known what Poe was like, but I thought that he gave a truly interesting impression of the man he could have been

• by Redtape

When I first saw the trailer for the movie “The Raven” I thought that it seemed like it had a lot of potential. I might not have known at the time that the title was the same as a poem written by Edgar Allan Poe a little before he died under mysterious circumstances; but what I did know was that it looked like it would be a thrilling historical film. I love both historical films and thrillers and so I realised I had to watch it once it was released on Blu Ray. The result was while I didn’t think it was so bad; other people apparently did because it seemed to have a very low rating on its IMDB.

In the movie, the police decide that a serial killer’s work is mirroring Edgar Allan Poe’s stories after several of his victims turn up resembling the gruesome details

in some of his most recently published. The murders have such bizarre detail that a special detective, Emmett Fields who is played by the actor Luke Evans is called to help with the investigation. He informs Poe of his theory, but Poe only becomes truly concerned when a young woman, Emily, with whom he is infatuated is kidnapped by the same killer. They both race against time to try to find her, with Poe refusing to honour the serial killer’s wishes that he should write and publish something else. Eventually, the plot becomes tied in with Poe’s mysterious death whereas he takes poison in exchange for Emily’s life to be spared and reveals the name of the killer.

I think that this film is just one of the few examples why I might encourage people to judge a film or product for themselves. This is because the film critics

ripped this one to shreds and a lot of people gave it a bad rating, even though I actually liked it. One of the things that I liked too was that you don’t have to be a die-hard fan of Edgar Allan Poe and be familiar with most of his life and works in order to understand it. The only thing that you probably need to know about him are the most common information which was that he was a writer who lived during a certain time and died under very mysterious circumstances. Most of what occurs in the plot is obviously fiction. However, what makes the plot so marvellous is that whoever came up with it wrote such a thrilling story around Poe’s death even adding in a twist.

On the other hand, I’ve read reviews written by diehard fans of Edgar Allan Poe who condemn the ...

• The Raven (movie)
      plot referring to it as trash that only people who don’t read his work will like and understand. Nevertheless, I believe that this is one of those movies that is only very loosely based on reality where you will need to just let go of the facts you know in order to like it.

Something else that I also loved about this film was the atmosphere, which seemed to be as dark as the one in most if not all Poe’s stories that a lot of people are familiar with. The environment for most of the entire movie has a grayness or overcast feeling to it, and then as the plot thickens a bit more it starts to rain a lot. I feel that the atmosphere had a lot of dramatic significance and helped to make the film more interesting since it reflected the dark heavy mood of the

plot and gave a certain “gothic” air to it.

John Cusack is the actor who played Edgar Allan Poe. Unfortunately, I’ve read many reviews that bash his acting skills especially after he played this role, but I beg to differ. I might not have known what Poe was like, but I thought that he gave a truly interesting impression of the man he could have been. It was different from his usual roles, but I believe that he played “dark and brooding” fairly well, even though I still think that he could have done a lot better.

I’ll tell you upfront that it seems like most either like this movie or hate it. There really don’t seem to be a lot of people in between. If you think of yourself as a serious fan of Edgar Allan Poe it’s probably best you shouldn’t waste your time on it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1122051631431231/k2311a0522/5.22.14