CBGB (movie)
  • I love hard rock too much for something like that to pass me by, and the great thing about it was that I had fun watching it too
  • What kept me watching was not necessarily because I thought that the movie was great but because I became genuinely interested in seeing this man’s success coming from a little “hole in the wall”, and I wanted to see how different bands and musicians would be portrayed
  • I think that one of the best parts of the movie was the beginning since it made the rest of the movie look interesting and promising, especially where at the start it showed the toddler, Hilly, wandering off for miles and accomplishing the impossible of returning home on his own
  • However, I didn’t think that they all performed as well as I know they could
  • However, I think it might interest you to see it especially if you knew about the origins of the CBGB

• by Redtape

When I saw the title of this movie on the cable guide recently, I wasn’t sure what to expect from it, especially since the acronym just did not sound familiar to me. However, when I read the description, which indicated that it had to do with a part of the history of Punk Rock, I knew that I just had to watch it. I love hard rock too much for something like that to pass me by, and the great thing about it was that I had fun watching it too.

Now if you’re not a fan of punk rock, hard rock or don’t care much about the roots of both genres, you probably shouldn’t waste your time watching it since you might probably get

too bored to watch it till the end. The plot has a ridiculously slow built showing Hilly Krystal building the CBGB club from scratch and showing the different challenges he faced just starting out and trying to keep it running. What kept me watching was not necessarily because I thought that the movie was great but because I became genuinely interested in seeing this man’s success coming from a little “hole in the wall”, and I wanted to see how different bands and musicians would be portrayed.

miles and accomplishing the impossible of returning home on his own. I also liked the sort of “comic book” or sequential art style that was used in the first part, which helped to kindle my interest in the movie a bit.

I have mixed feelings about the acting in CBGB. There was undoubtedly a lot of fairly popular and talented actors and actresses who were involved in its making. I spotted actors such as Rupert Grint who played the role of Ron in the Harry Potter series, Alan Rickman who was also in Harry Potter and the actress Malin Ackerman. However, I didn’t think that they all performed as well as I know they could.

For example, Alan Rickman played Hilly Krystal, who was an American ...

• CBGB (movie)
      by birth, but yet still I could hear Rickman’s unmistakable English accent nearly everytime he spoke. It was very distracting especially in the first part, even though I’ve heard some viewers who say they didn’t even notice the difference.

I thought that Rickman also made Krystal a little boring in my opinion. It wasn’t his usual role so I can give him credit for that, especially since I honestly thought that he might have put a little more into it. However, I still thought that Donal Logue who played the role of Merv Ferguson would have made a better Hilly Krystal since I’ve seen him play similar characters before and he looks a lot more like him than Alan Rickman.

Despite the fact that I

didn’t think it was that great, the movie CBGB had some pretty interesting scenes, especially in its earlier stages. For example, one of my favourites had to be where there was water leaking from an apartment upstairs and it nearly electrocuted a guitarist from one of the bands that was playing. Therefore, Hilly rushes up to the apartment, bursts inside and tells the guy living there he’s blocking the drain.

Through my research I eventually found out that the real Hilly Krystal died recently from lung cancer or something like that. That was disappointing especially since he wasn’t alive to see the end result of the movie. However, I think it might interest you to see it especially if you knew about the origins of the CBGB.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1120051631190231/k2311a0520/5.20.14