Nathan’s restaurant Brooklyn, NY (near New York Aquarium)  » Restaurants  »
1310 Surf Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11224
  • Between the plump, juicy chicken and the veggies that tasted like they were picked straight from the farm moments earlier, I don't know what I enjoyed more
  • Oh, and did I mention that if lemonade isn't your thing, you can relax by the beach with a tall frosty pint or bottle of your favorite brew
  • They really do have quite a selection of beers, so when we go back, we're definitely going to be enjoying a couple paired with choices we haven't yet had the pleasure of indulging in

• by Elizabeth

We found ourselves in a major crisis this afternoon: we had a screaming, inconsolably hungry two year old and the New York Aquarium that we were visiting had nothing we were interested in eating at around $10 per person. Remembering that Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog stand was still standing on the Coney Island Boardwalk, we decided to give the 98 year old tradition a shot- though we were hesitant on whether or not it was all about nostalgia or if the food was worth the walk.

Surprisingly, this restaurant is only minutes away from the aquarium. 5 to be exact. And that’s with a toddler walking slowly while you’re pushing a stroller.

Tired, hungry and in need of hydration, our family was relieved that

all 7 registers were not only manned, but there weren’t more than 5-6 people on each line. Unfortunately, that feeling was brief; the only reason we endured the unusually high temperatures, our toddler’s ear piercing cries and the 45 minute wait was because we simply couldn’t drag our kids around looking for something else.

The staff wasn’t exactly full of smiles, either. None of the crew cleaning the front of the super tidy establishment was particularly pleasant. The cashiers looked as though they’d survived a war of some sort. Granted, hundreds of customers and a non stop rush of people looking for a world-famous treat can make any job dismal. However, I expected a smile or a “thank you” at the very least.

Nonetheless, we got our food packaged in a neat cardboard box, complete with the little red forks and Nathan’s branded packaging.

We might have been tired and I at the end of my rope, but despite everything, one bite of my grilled Chicken Philly Cheesesteak made all of it melt away into nothingness.

Between the plump, juicy chicken and the veggies that tasted like they were picked straight from the farm moments earlier, I don’t know what I enjoyed more.

The chicken tenders are just that- absurdly tender. And there is no question here that 100% white meat chicken is what these crispy treats are made of.

The fries were piping hot and sprinkled with just the right amount of salt. They were fried ...

• Nathan's restaurant Brooklyn, NY (near New York Aquarium)
      to perfection with a crispy seasoned outside and soft, fluffy inside.

And our toddler totally loved her frankfurter! For the first time ever, she not only ate the whole thing, but asked if she could eat it again the next time! We were easily able to cut it into small pieces for her as it wasn’t rubbery or slippery.

We also sampled the delectable beer battered onion rings (they happened to be on sale) and washed down the entire meal with sweet, ice cold lemonade that was free of any funky aftertaste you usually get with the artificial sweeteners of today’s fast food drinks.

We left completely refreshed, rejuvenated and able to take on the rest of our trip.

So the real question is:

Was it worth it?

Absolutely.

Sure, hot dogs that start at $3.99 and progress into the $7 range when loaded with bacon, cheese and/or chili may sound a bit steep, but comparatively speaking, nothing in the immediate area compares. Value-wise, burgers and drinks are what you’d expect of a diner. Oh, and did I mention that if lemonade isn’t your thing, you can relax by the beach with a tall frosty pint or bottle of your favorite brew? They really do have quite a selection of beers, so when we go back, we’re definitely going to be enjoying a couple paired with choices we haven’t yet had the pleasure of indulging in. Definitely go if you’re in the area- totally worth seeing what all the fuss is about!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 719051631150831/k2311a0519/5.19.14