Frankie & Benny’s, Coventry Fletchamstead restaurant  » Restaurants  »
2.0
Island Site, Fletchamstead Highway, Coventry CV5 6UA
  • This was probably for the best though since the extra starter was quite filling
  • After the mix up with starters and the poorly cooked main course, I decided that a dessert wasn't worth the risk and asked for the bill - not forgetting my undelivered chips
  • Overall, it was a poor experience, however I would assume that since it was newly opened, some of the staff were inexperienced, so in the near future I may visit again to see if any improvement has been made

• by Oliver Farr

Frankie and Benny’s is generally a reliably good - despite somewhat slow service - chain of restaurants, so naturally, I was keen to try out the newly opened restaurant in Coventry.

The first thing you notice is the ‘learn Italian’ CD playing through a speaker system into the car park on repeat; initially a charming way of setting the theme, which quickly become irritating as it repeats roughly ever 10 seconds.

After going in I was quickly seated, immediately the staff seemed attentive and polite. My order was taken promptly and then
      the wait began - I had visited for lunch so it was not even a busy time.

After many tables who arrived after myself were served, my starter finally arrived. However, of the two starters ordered to my table, only one was served. After waiting for the second to be served, it became clear that it was not on it’s way. Roughly 10 minutes later, the second arrived, along with a free replacement for the starter which came early.

The time it took for them to clear the starters was relatively long, but not in comparison to the wait for them in the first place.

For the main course I ordered the BBQ chicken pizza with a side of chips… I was served a lonely BBQ chicken pizza, no chips! This was probably for the best though since the extra starter was quite filling.

There are no two ways about it: the pizza was poor. The chicken was dry, so dry that each bite required a drink to eat. A method which quickly emptied my drink - supposedly unlimited refill, however staff were ...

• Frankie & Benny's, Coventry Fletchamstead restaurant
      reluctant to offer this. Furthermore, the base of the pizza was soggy and only luke warm.

After the mix up with starters and the poorly cooked main course, I decided that a dessert wasn’t worth the risk and asked for the bill - not forgetting my undelivered chips.

The bill came as a mixed blessing, they had only charged for one starter of the three we received, as they felt this was appropriate after the confusion with serving. However the chips had been charged. This misunderstanding was quickly resolved after explaining it to the waitress, and the chips were taken off.

I was almost left feeling satisfied at least that they’d attempted to make up for the mistakes… until the change arrived, £5.50 given to me as 5 pound coins and 10 five pence coins, unbelievable!

Overall, it was a poor experience, however I would assume that since it was newly opened, some of the staff were inexperienced, so in the near future I may visit again to see if any improvement has been made. For the time being, I’d suggest finding another restaurant!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 719051631030731/k2311a0519/5.19.14