Dustin Hoffman (actor)
  • For example, I know that he is one of those few actors who claim to be cancer survivors, as well as that he and his family are now practicing Jews unlike the family that he grew up in
  • I remember that the first movie that I really sat down and watched him in from start to finish was “Runaway Jury” where he played the pro bono attorney “Wendell Rohr” and I thought that he had done a fairly good job with his character
  • While I didn’t find his performance to be as riveting as Gene Hackman’s, I thought he was one of the actors that did the best and helped make the movie a success
  • I remember hating Willy Loman’s character when I read the play back in high school and thinking that he was both boring and pathetic
  • I still didn’t think that it was wildly interesting, but I thought that Hoffman played Loman very naturally and so for the very first time I was actually able to put my mental block away and learn

• by Redtape

The name Dustin Hoffman might sound familiar to many people, especially those who watch a lot of movies. This is because this man has been acting from the late nineteen sixties right up until now. He’s been nominated multiple times and won many awards for his work, which includes two Oscars. He’s also had a fairly successful theatre acting career. I always heard the name myself, but wasn’t too sure who people were talking about until I saw him in Meet the Fockers a couple years ago. I haven’t seen him in many movies I’ve watched since, but for the few I’ve seen I respect him as an actor and his acting style.

I don’t know a lot about this man’s early life except that he was born and grew up

in California to a family that was descended from Ashkenazi Jews who migrated from Ukraine. He went to university intending to go into medicine, but instead changed his mind and decided to become an actor despite the protests of some of his family members. I do know a little more of his more recent life though. For example, I know that he is one of those few actors who claim to be cancer survivors, as well as that he and his family are now practicing Jews unlike the family that he grew up in.

Before I watched “Meet the Fockers”, I had seen Hoffman in several other movies. Since none of them were comedies at the time I just expected that this actor was not able to play anything else but serious roles. I remember

that the first movie that I really sat down and watched him in from start to finish was “Runaway Jury” where he played the pro bono attorney “Wendell Rohr” and I thought that he had done a fairly good job with his character. While I didn’t find his performance to be as riveting as Gene Hackman’s, I thought he was one of the actors that did the best and helped make the movie a success.

Later on, as if to cement his name as a good actor I saw him in Death of a Salesman because I was doing the book in school. I remember hating Willy Loman’s character when I read the play back in high school and thinking that he was both boring and pathetic. However, I began to see him differently ...

• Dustin Hoffman (actor)
      when I saw Hoffman play him in the 1985 movie. I still didn’t think that it was wildly interesting, but I thought that Hoffman played Loman very naturally and so for the very first time I was actually able to put my mental block away and learn.

As I mentioned before, when I watched Death of a Salesman, one of the things that made me learn more about the character was Hoffman’s rather “natural” performance. As for whatever other pieces I’ve seen him in, he certainly has a knack for just easing completely into character and blowing people away no matter what the genre or what the character is like. I’m not sure if he’s one of those people who uses method acting, but I know that whatever his technique is it works for him. I had seen him in the movie “Mr Magorium’s Wonder Emporium” alongside Natalie Portman, and even though I didn’t really understand or like the movie, I thought that his performance as Mr Magorium was so natural it very believable.

Dustin Hoffman’s versatility as an actor is evident in his body of work because he has played so many different characters within so many different genres. It was just as refreshing seeing him in movies such as Tootsie in comparison to movies such as Death of a Salesman. I always feel like I’m getting my money’s worth with him and he throws himself into any role he takes on.

These days Hoffman seems to have slowed down and doesn’t seem to have a lot of popular roles but he is still clearly a good actor.

Trayon Thomas says :

Dustin Hoffman is a very great actor he has been around the movie scene for years. He has been in award winning movies like Tootsie,Hook,Little Fockers and the list goes on. He is a very talented guy and it also shows in the roles that he plays in all his films. He is one of the worlds greatest actors of all time.

ReadingBug says :

I love Dustin Hoffman. I have not seen all of his work, but I have enjoyed the majority of what I have watched. I think he comes from an era of actors where training and technique were appreciated and valued, and it shows in all of his performances. My favorite performance of all was Rain Man co-starring Tom Cruise. It s unfortunate the actors of today don t match his quality of talent on the big screen.

Richie Mogwai says :

Dustin Hoffman is in the same class as actors Robert Deniro, Al Pacino, Merryl Streep, and Jodie Foster. He is truly a gifted and excellent actor. He was so good in Tootsie.

Rumba says :

Don’t know about Jodie Foster, but I agree with you that Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro are in the same class. Here we also can add Al Pacino.

Andrew Leither says :

If Dustin Hoffman and Jodie Foster are in movies, I will go see those movies any time. They great actors and Al Pacino is one of my favorites. I could go on. I agree with your review and find it helpful, insightful, and intriguing.

Pamela Dunn says :

My first acting crush. Another talented ageless actor. I’ve seen all his movies at least twice.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 529051630561131/k2311a059/5.9.14