Homefront, PS3 Game
2.5
  • It sounds like a good storyline and Kaos Studios promised us the next big FPS experience
  • There are a lot of reviews on the game and I would have to agree with them for the most part, Homefront is one of the biggest disappointments of 2011
  • All of these games sort of blend together, which is something developers try to avoid since these games are a dime a dozen
  • When you consider the year being 2011 though we have seen much better
  • I called THQ about this issue and I was told to sit tight

• by Sami Oughanem

Homefront takes place 16 years in the future. The Greater Korean Republic attacked and conquered the United States, thanks to Korea’s EMP strike. This war is now happening in our front yards. Friends and family are dying and our once great, dominate country is now trying just to see the sun rise again as the Greater Korean Republic take away our freedom.

It sounds like a good storyline and Kaos Studios promised us the next big FPS experience. Homefront had the gaming community on its side and then the game hit store shelves. There are a lot of reviews on the game and I would have to agree with them for the most part, Homefront is one of the biggest disappointments of 2011.

FPS games really haven’t changed a whole lot since the next generation consoles came out. All of these games sort of blend together, which is something developers try to avoid since these games are a dime a dozen. Pretty graphics and a war story make up these games, but Homefront only seemed to grasp the storytelling part of next gen FPS games.

This game visually cannot compare to other first person shooters. Homefront has nice scenery in all of the six chapters of the game. I was able to point out all of the product placements

in the game and trust mere there is a lot. The game starts you off entering a White Castle for Christ sakes. But this part really doesn’t matter when the games character models look like they might have came from the late 90s of PC gaming, a point where computer games started to look pretty goddamn good. When you consider the year being 2011 though we have seen much better. The characters are just so lifeless and dull, you will want to kill your own team members but the gaming Gods won’t let you do such a thing.

I am one that usually doesn’t complain about graphics too much, but when you have a game that was hyped this much, in a genre that strives to look realistic, I have to complain. The game also has some of the worst clipping moments in my recent memories. I’ll be standing at one moment and my team member will walk through me and then right through the door. Thankfully I was able to see her eyes and teeth and the polygons tearing like a N64 title. This is laughable at best, yet I would rather that happen then my team just stopping or walking real slowly, making me play this horrid game longer. Oh yeah look at Oasis, nice

save haven. Can we just go down the stairs and…oh I have to walk like an 80 year old? Why God, why?

Homefront goes with the shooting gallery approach with the game. That means auto aim goes to your target and all you have to do is hit the trigger. If they move don’t worry, either un-zoom and try again or move the scope slightly, not a big deal in Homefront. Nothing new was brought to the table, maybe the fact the game takes around 5 to 6 hours to complete, slightly longer than your average FPS title. You could make the game take longer by standing in what I called the hot zones. What are hot zones in Homefront? Oh it’s when you stand still to either reload, plan ahead, or take out enemies on another size and enemies keep coming from a nearby doorway. The programmers did a nice job making sure you move in these hot zones because we know nobody wants to stand still and keep killing the same enemies going in the same path…well maybe if you want to extend the gameplay you might do this. All I ever did when I got to a hot zone was run forward and stab my enemies, and then it stopped.

There are a lot of ...

• Homefront, PS3 Game
      stupid issues I’ve had with the game while playing it. My team would block paths or not open doors so I could continue. This would then lead to a hot zone spot with more enemies coming my way when I could have just continued the game if I was allowed to open the door. I don’t get why this game was programmed by idiots or a team that never made a game passed the Playstation 2. The game is just not polished and it hurts the gaming experience that much. I ran into a ton of encounters too where my team was talking like they were helping me, but I had to do everything. Then when it was all done Satan himself summoned my team right before my eyes and we were able to wait 30 seconds to open the door to continue.

John Milius, the man who helped with Apocalypse Now and Red Dawn, worked on the script to Homefront. When did he start helping out? The only parts I could tell where Milius helped was when children were crying over their parents dying, dead bodies being thrown in a ditch, or seeing women and children’s bodies on the floor, faces covered, with blood behind their heads. The story to Homefront isn’t bad, don’t get me

wrong, but I don’t see how John Milius helped out because the games story does not live up to his other work.

The game also suffers from bad dialogue too. I know I need to find cover when being fired at but does my partner really have to swear like a sailor? When there are points when the dialogue is supposed to mean something or show emotion the damn actors screw up. Not the best team picked here for the readings if you ask me. All around a disaster and I truthfully feel that some of this could have been better if the actors were different. That way the bad dialogue would have been covered up my people who do their jobs properly.

The only thing left to talk about this game is the multiplayer. Due to an issue with online codes or heavy traffic I was not able to play the multiplayer. I called THQ about this issue and I was told to sit tight. Every time you put the game on you are reminded on how THQ is looking for more servers for Homefront due to the demand. Because it wouldn’t be fair for me to takes points off the game for this I will let Homefront slide. I’m not expecting much from the online though.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 288051630550331/k2311a058/5.8.14