Phillip Seymour Hoffman (actor)
  • Sometimes it takes the worst, which includes death for a person to actually be noticed or given the recognition that they’re due
  • I didn’t even know his name and I know that it was the same thing for many other people
  • I guess that proves to show that you should not assume you know an actor because of the few times you’ve seen them on-screen, which I believe a lot of people are guilty of
  • I just wish that Phillip had gotten some form of help for his problem

• by Redtape

Sometimes it takes the worst, which includes death for a person to actually be noticed or given the recognition that they’re due. There are several artists or great people who have only received a certain recognition after they have died, and as brutal as it might sound it’s actually true. That’s one of the reasons why I was a little sad and ashamed when the actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman died. I’ve seen him in movies over the years and I always knew that he could act, but for some reason I never quite noticed what a good actor he was until he died. I didn’t even know his name and I know that it was the same thing for many other people.

If his name still doesn’t ring a bell, and

you were unfortunate enough to not see a picture of him when he died, he’s one of those actors who has a familiar face because his rather large body of work from the early nineteen nineties right up to very recently. Known mostly for his slow speech, he had appeared in movies such as Patch Adams, Scent of a Woman, Boogie Nights, The Big Lebowski, The Talented Mr Ripley, Along Came Polly and many others. His most recent claim to success was the Hunger Games franchise in which he appeared as Plutarch Heavensbee.

Unlike some of the more respected actors who seemed to be more recognised for their talent. What I realised that I liked about Phillip is that he had a less aggressive acting style that was both very unique

and worked for him especially since it made him appear very cool and natural. What I mean is that there are several actors in Hollywood right now that people look up to because they tend to play all their characters, no matter the personality with a fire that people can’t help but notice and be awed by. While they’re acting style isn’t a bad thing, a lot of the times the loudest person in the room will receive more attention than the quietest.

These actors’ recognition is also fuelled by their physical attractiveness. Phillip Seymour Hoffman didn’t seem to have a lot of that luxury since he wasn’t very physically attractive in the traditional sense. Therefore, it always seemed as if even though he had talent, he was pushed a little ...

• Phillip Seymour Hoffman (actor)
      bit more in the background to more “good looking” actors.

Like a lot of other people, I never noticed until after he died that he could play most characters. I’m going to be fair and say that while I’ve never seen him play any boisterous people, and while most of his characters seemed to have a rather tranquil air about them, he has played both protagonists and villains. He has also had a body of work which consisted of pieces from many different genres. People might see some actors do that, but I don’t think that it’s something that’s easy to do. Some actors might settle on a particular genre because it’s comfortable with and what they’re good at. However, I’ve seen Hoffman appear in totally different genres of movies

such as horror, romance, thriller and drama.

What surprised me the most about this man was the way that he died. Like a lot of other people, I still have a hard time believing that he died of a drug overdose, because a number of the characters who he played were either very level-headed or some sort of spiritual guide. I guess that proves to show that you should not assume you know an actor because of the few times you’ve seen them on-screen, which I believe a lot of people are guilty of. I just wish that Phillip had gotten some form of help for his problem.

I don’t think that there are many actors who can fill this man’s shoes, but I do know that he has left a rather huge legacy.

Brian Budd says :

re : I just wish that Phillip had gotten some form of help for his problem
He unfortunately had an addiction. Heroin is nothing to mess with. I think it’s a wake up to all actors or musicians like Michael Jackson that died from overdose. Seek help. The life is sweet, yet the time is short

redtape replies :

So very true.

Roni GBZ says :

re : Sometimes it takes the worst, which includes death for a person to actually be noticed or given the recognition that they’re due
Of course. Death was and always will be a great publishing agent and name-maker for the best of them :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 528051630540331/k2311a058/5.8.14