The Last King of Scotland (movie)  » Movies  »
  • I remember that when I first watched it, I didn’t have a clue what it was going to be about and so I thought for some reason that it was going to be one of those historical movies
  • Nevertheless, I found that I didn’t even have time to experience any form of disappointment since the movie was so good
  • There were so many things that I loved about the movie The Last King of Scotland, but I believe that it was the performances that made the movie such a success
  • However, I found that problem to be almost non-exisistent when watching this movie
  • I would definitely recommend the movie “The Last King of Scotland” to fans of James McAvoy, Forest Whitaker and to those who simply love movies that are filled with suspense and drama

• by Redtape

The Last King of Scotland was possibly the first movie that I had seen the Scottish actor James McAvoy in where I began to take him seriously. I remember that when I first watched it, I didn’t have a clue what it was going to be about and so I thought for some reason that it was going to be one of those historical movies.

Nevertheless, I found that I didn’t even have time to experience any form of disappointment since the movie was so good.

Set in the early 1970s, a young Scottish medical school graduate, Nicholas Garrigan, decides to travel to Uganda in pursuit of excitement and adventure. He starts out

working at a missionary clinic there, but soon becomes the personal physician of General Idi Amin, the country’s newest dictator. Amin begins to trust Garrigan so much that he begins asking for political and personal advice as well. However, Garrigan quickly becomes disillusioned with the position and Amin when he realises just how devious, violent and paranoid he is. He soon finds himself secretly plotting for an escape especially after he realises he has gotten one of Amin’s wives pregnant.

There were so many things that I loved about the movie The Last King of Scotland, but I believe that it was the performances that made the movie such a success. For example, one thing that I really hate is when people from other nationalities are cast to play characters from completely different cultures, and so I might find myself distracted by bad stereotypes and accents when trying to watch a movie. However, I found that problem to be almost non-exisistent when watching this movie.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed at first when I didn’t see any real Ugandan actors playing any of the lead roles, but it was very easy to forget that once I became truly immersed in the movie.

The American actor Forrest Whitaker played the role of Idi Amin with so much life and charisma. I don’t ...

• The Last King of Scotland (movie)
      remember seeing Forest in a villainous role before and was actually extremely surprised to see him playing one so well even though I already knew he was a good actor. He did such a good job that I felt he made his character and the paranoia he experienced very chilling.

James McAvoy also stole the show. His acting was very believable, and he made his character very memorable.

Something else I loved about this movie is that I don’t remember it being very slow or slowing down too much. While most of the suspense comes later on in the movie, it’s still interesting from the very beginning. One of my favourite parts of

the movie was where Nicholas finds out that Kay, Amin’s youngest wife is pregnant for him, and this is all in the same period of time where Amin’s psychological state seems to take a turn for the worst and Nicholas is finally beginning to see what a paranoid and violent person he is.

There’s also the scene where Kay’s mutilated body is found and this has a huge dramatic significance since it paints Amin as an even bigger villain and a true dictator.

I would definitely recommend the movie “The Last King of Scotland” to fans of James McAvoy, Forest Whitaker and to those who simply love movies that are filled with suspense and drama.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 115051630410931/k2311a055/5.5.14