Jumanji (movie)  » Movies  »
  • It was a few years after Jumanji was released and I never heard of the movie before that night, but based on the description that she gave me about it, I figured that it might be interesting
  • What I love about this movie first and foremost is the plot
  • When I first watched it, I thought that it was unique, and even years later when watching it again, I thought that it wasn’t very similar to a lot of movies I had seen
  • I think I even remember spotting the actor David Alan Grier
  • I would definitely recommend this movie, slightly outdated special effects and all to older children and possibly their parents

• by Redtape

When I was much younger, I had a sleepover with one of my aunts and she rented a video of a movie that she thought I would like to see. It was a few years after Jumanji was released and I never heard of the movie before that night, but based on the description that she gave me about it, I figured that it might be interesting. What ended up happening was that the movie ended up scaring me so bad I couldn’t sleep and so this is why I start out by saying that the movie might not be appropriate for some children especially under a certain age.

When Jumanji begins, we see a flashback from the late 1960s where a boy finds

a magical game and begins to play it with the girl he has a crush on. However, he becomes trapped in it while the girl runs away. Years later, two siblings find the game when they move to their new house and when they begin playing it, release boy the trapped boy, who’s now a man and some other creatures. Now it’s up to them to finish playing the game despite how bad things get before they end up completely destroying the town they live in.

What I love about this movie first and foremost is the plot. When I first watched it, I thought that it was unique, and even years later when watching it again, I thought that it wasn’t very similar to a lot of movies I had seen. To make things even better, I thought that whole concept of a magical game releasing magical elements into the real world was intriguing. It had an underlying darkness and foreboding that I was a little afraid of when I was much younger, but later had come to accept because I thought it helped make the movie what it was.

The acting wasn’t too bad either. It had a number of familiar faces one of whom was Robin Williams, who played the older adult version of Alan, the boy who was trapped in the game. There was also Bonnie Hunt, Beatrice Neuwirth and a younger version of Kirsten Dunst. I think I even remember spotting ...

• Jumanji (movie)
      the actor David Alan Grier.

I thought that the child actors especially did a spectacular job when it came to playing their roles. They helped bring a lot of life to the screen without exaggerating their roles or overacting. Kirsten Dunst in particular was a pleasant surprise since I thought that she played her character well and quite naturally.

The visual effects were also a pleasant surprise. I realise the movie was released in the mid nineties, so I really expected when I re-watched it recently that the effect would be more than outdated and laughable but surprisingly they weren’t. I remember when I first watched it, I thought that the animals especially were very realistic looking to the point where I even

wondered if they had used real animals. However, when I watched it over I thought it was obvious that everything was CGI, even though it didn’t look too far off.

As I mentioned before, the movie frightened me when I first watched it, so I found it hard to sleep for some time. However, now that I’m older it doesn’t scare me at all, but I do still understand why it did at the time. What frightened me the most was the game coming to life, and the drum beats that would get louder and more terrifying when something bad was going to happen.

I would definitely recommend this movie, slightly outdated special effects and all to older children and possibly their parents.

Karen Yackel says :

re : What I love about this movie first and foremost is the plot
I have watched many movies in my lifetime and the plot in this particular movie is a rather unique one. I have seen movies that had similar plots in my opinion but they went about it very differently thus leaving each one with their own unique signature.

The plot to me is rather simple. In this case two children in the future are the ones who open the chance to release Alan and reuniting him with Sarah. This allowed the game to be finished. So the moral of this story–Never leave a challenge in-complete.

Michelle Thompson says :

re : I would definitely recommend this movie, slightly outdated special effects and all to older children and possibly their parents
This is an outstanding movie for both young and old. It seems like this movie never becomes outdated. I think it’s because of the story line behind it. There’s ALWAYS action happening and it never gets boring. It definitely keeps you laughing, while your on the edge of your seat at the same time. It’s an all-time great

Abhishek says :

Well.. If u want to enjoy with your family or friends or may be even alone.. And if you are in a mood of thrill, magic , adventure then probably this movie is the best .. Trust me..watch it ..

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1122041629880930/k2311a0422/4.22.14