Psych (tv series)  » TV  »
  • I had seen the trailers for it, and I thought that the plot made it seem like it would be very comical
  • When I started watching it, I found out that I actually liked it even though one of my family members said it was ridiculous and made no sense
  • I liked the series so much that I started watching it a lot, until I either outgrew it, or it became too silly for me to bear, therefore after years of watching episode after episode I decided to stop
  • In my opinion, the show might have started out goofy, but I thought it had a lot of potential and was very different from a lot of other USA television series
  • However, what I do recommend is that people judge it for themselves

• by Redtape

I started watching the television series “Psych” as soon as it premiered on the cable television channel USA. I had seen the trailers for it, and I thought that the plot made it seem like it would be very comical. When I started watching it, I found out that I actually liked it even though one of my family members said it was ridiculous and made no sense. I liked the series so much that I started watching it a lot, until I either outgrew it, or it became too silly for me to bear, therefore after years of watching episode after episode I decided to stop.

In case you aren’t familiar with it, Psych is actually a comedic detective series where a young man, Shawn Spencer and his childhood best friend Burton Guster work together as consultants for the Santa Barbara Police Department. When the television series began, Shawn would often try to convince both the potential witnesses and criminals that he had strong psychic

abilities that would help him to solve the case, hence the name of the show. However, Gus his best friend, some of the police and detectives that he worked with knew better, and one or two chalked his “psychic” ability to be a cover for his astute observation skills, even though others were at one time convinced that his wealth of knowledge meant that he more than likely had something to do with the case. The ruse continued after he was threatened with prosecution if it was found that he wasn’t actually psychic, and he did indeed have inside knowledge. A part from the prosecution threat, his high success rate under his psychic ruse also persuades Shawn to continue.

In my opinion, the show might have started out goofy, but I thought it had a lot of potential and was very different from a lot of other USA television series. I didn’t know of anyone else, especially in my age group who watched it at the time, but I did find it to be very addictive and found myself looking forward to each of the future episodes. However, that changed after a while for me when I began to feel that even though the series had some interesting episodes, and cases, everything just felt the same after a while and nothing was changing. I went through season after season only to see that nothing major happened with our main characters and became disillusioned. For example, some of the changes that supposedly occurred such as Shawn and Detective O’Hara getting together and breaking up were very predictable. I was so sure that the writers were going in that direction that I would have bet three of my recent paychecks on that one. What’s even worse was when the two discontinued their relationship, which I also predicted from the start. Detective Lassiter’s promotion was also no stretch of the imagination. The lack of change was also weird for me because I know that people’s ...

• Psych (tv series)
      lives really do change dramatically in short periods of time no matter how mundane many seem to think it is so it felt that the writers were always being unusually safe and lazy.

While the characters didn’t seem to be very dynamic, I at least expected that the style in which the show is done or even the way the story is told would change after a while. However, the only thing that seemed to change was the opening song, and the change in that was very slight. For example, each episode would open with a flashback from Shawn and Gus’s childhood. Most of them would involve some lesson being taught by Shawn’s father, a former police detective. It was interesting at least for the first season, but when I realised I kept seeing that same beginning up to the sixth season, I wasn’t too thrilled. What made it worse was that it’s the eighth season now, and even though I don’t watch it anymore, I’ve

seen one or two episodes, and it’s literally the same thing.

When Psych just started, I understood that it would not be as big budget as some other television series and so therefore I was open for bad acting, since that usually seems to go hand in hand with low budget series and movies. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I watched it and realised that wasn’t the case with most of the actors in it. Funny enough, two of the worst actors in the show in my opinion are those who play Shawn and Gus. I don’t really like the actor who play’s Gus’ character mostly since some of the things that he does are supposed to be comic relief, when I don’t think that he’s suited to comedy.

I’m torn as to whether or not to recommend Psych to people since it seems to me that people who’ve watched it either love it or hate it. However, what I do recommend is that people judge it for themselves.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1022041629830930/k2311a0422/4.22.14