Sisters of the New South, Restaurant in Savannah, Georgia  » Restaurants  »
2605 Skidaway Rd, Savannah, GA 31404
  • After driving to a favorite breakfast spot which happened to be closed that Sunday, I decided to try Sisters of the New South because of all the positive reviews they receive
  • Walking over, we were surprised to find that the restaurant appeared to be empty considering how many people I know who like this place
  • The pancakes were the best thing ordered, while the bacon was too greasy
  • I have yet to try the lunch/dinner menu items, but I'm a bit wary now that I have been less than impressed by the breakfast offerings
  • It's worth stopping in if you like southern food or it's on the way, but I don't think it's worth a special trip, especially for breakfast

• by Melanie Noell

After driving to a favorite breakfast spot which happened to be closed that Sunday, I decided to try Sisters of the New South because of all the positive reviews they receive. While the food was fairly good, I probably won’t be returning considering other issues that arose while dining.

Pulling up to the restaurant, the parking situation is a bit confusing and most of it is slanted on a hill, which is inconvenient. It’s not terrible, just something worth noting if you plan on going. Walking over, we were surprised to find that the restaurant appeared to be empty considering how many people I know who like this place. Apparently, they get

a rush before and after church times, and we had arrived directly in the middle of the rushes; we basically had the restaurant to ourselves. The setup is a bit odd: when you walk in, there is a case displaying pre-cooked food to choose from, along with a menu in the back for other made-to-order items. You go through this line, pay at the register and proceed through a doorway to a dining area where you can sit and wait for your food. It looked a bit run-down and in need of some decorating, but many hole-in-the-wall type places have a similar feel, so I didn’t judge the interior too harshly.

One of the first problems that arose was that they were out of coffee. At 9am on a Sunday. We were told it happens frequently after the morning rush, and they wouldn’t be making more until the next rush. Make more coffee for your paying customers. It’s that simple. And if it happens more often than not, make more coffee to start so you don’t run out. But we ordered our food and went on our way to the dining room.

I got some kind of lemonade with my drink and it was overly sweet to the point where it no longer tasted like lemonade. I’m actually a big fan of sweet tea ...

• Sisters of the New South, Restaurant in Savannah, Georgia
      and super sweet lemonade, but this was too much. When the food came out, they brought out two of what I had ordered, and we worried that they had gotten an order wrong; instead, they had accidentally made two of the same thing in addition to the other order. They didn’t charge us for their mistake, of course, but it was a bit of a red flag as to how things were managed in the restaurant. The food was good, but nothing special. The pancakes were the best thing ordered, while the bacon was too greasy. The prices are quite good, with a full meal (not including drink) costing around $6
      to $7 and the portion sizes are good, but once again, nothing was incredible.

The restaurant also features carry-out, delivery and catering services, so if you really like the food, this is a huge convenience. I have yet to try the lunch/dinner menu items, but I’m a bit wary now that I have been less than impressed by the breakfast offerings. I can’t rate it too poorly because they have good prices and good food, but it didn’t meet my expectations and the service/management needs some improvement. It’s worth stopping in if you like southern food or it’s on the way, but I don’t think it’s worth a special trip, especially for breakfast.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 721041629640130/k2311a0421/4.21.14