Smashbox Photo Op Eye Brightening Mascara  » Cosmetics  »
  • I decided to try out a different mascara (I typically use Benefit's Bad Gal Lashes) last time I was at Ulta, and I picked up Smashbox's Eye Brightening Mascara
  • I think it fulfills its promise to curl lashes and brighten eyes
  • I love how full my lashes look when using it, but I feel like it would look a lot better if it was long and full
  • Another small problem I have is that the brush collects a lot mascara on it, and as a result, it takes a long time for the mascara to set
  • It's a good mascara, but not my favorite, so I'll probably stick to my Benefit mascara unless I'm in the need for some serious brightening and volumizing

• by Melanie Noell

I decided to try out a different mascara (I typically use Benefit’s Bad Gal Lashes) last time I was at Ulta, and I picked up Smashbox’s Eye Brightening Mascara. While it’s a sufficient substitute if they don’t have Benefit in stock, it doesn’t quite fulfill my desire for long lashes.

I have fairly short, light lashes naturally, so my two priorities for mascara are that it lengthen my lashes and make them fuller. This Smashbox product promises to curl, lift and brighten, and most of the reviews say that it makes their lashes look fuller and their overall appearance more

wide-eyed. I wanted to try something different, so I gave it a shot. I think it fulfills its promise to curl lashes and brighten eyes; my lashes seem to curl back similar to when I use an eyelash curler, though not quite as effective. It is, however, a great time saver. The brightening effect comes from the fact that it thickens lashes and makes them look full as well as that there’s some type of blue pigment in the mascara that helps brighten the whites of your eyes. The extra volume maybe even the blue pigments seem to help give color to my lashes (something I typically look for) and it makes my smallish eyes look much larger and brighter.

However, this mascara doesn’t seem to add much length to my lashes, which is a big downfall. It doesn’t promise lots of length on the product description, so it’s not entirely fair to hold it too much against it, but I feel like it’s expected that mascara should add length. I love how full my lashes look when using it, but I feel like it would look a lot better if it was long and full. This might ...

• Smashbox Photo Op Eye Brightening Mascara
      be a good mascara for people who already have long lashes, but if you have short lashes, it’s not necessarily beneficial.

Another small problem I have is that the brush collects a lot mascara on it, and as a result, it takes a long time for the mascara to “set.” It results in messy lashes that sometimes needs to be brushed out a bit to avoid clumps. And if you don’t wait for it to set, it can smudge! However, once it sets, it’s very long-lasting!

This mascara is available at high-end cosmetics retailers, so it’s a bit more difficult to

get than simply going to the grocery store makeup aisle. At $20, it’s comparable in price to other brands you might find at these types of retailers, and about the same price as my usual Benefit mascara. I personally prefer a mascara that lengthens, but I love the wide-eyed look this mascara gives. It might be good in combination with a lengthening mascara, and I would recommend it for those who already have long lashes. It’s a good mascara, but not my favorite, so I’ll probably stick to my Benefit mascara unless I’m in the need for some serious brightening and volumizing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3121041629550130/k2311a0421/4.21.14