Alfred Hitchcocks Psycho (1960 movie)
  • I feel that it is one of the best and most influential horror movies of all times, especially since I believe that it featured one of movies’ first serial killers and it was technically one of the first slasher horrors to be made
  • While I love this movie dearly, there are a few aspects of it that might have some younger viewers hesitating to watch it because it seems or feels outdated
  • The background music is also a little outdated in my opinion
  • I think that is one of the things that separates it from one of the older horror movies for me, because it mirrors real life as much as it can
  • I recommend the movie Psycho to people who like older horror and thriller movies

• by Redtape

I grew up loving horror movies and so I have a special appreciation for the movie “Psycho” that was released in 1960. I feel that it is one of the best and most influential horror movies of all times, especially since I believe that it featured one of movies’ first serial killers and it was technically one of the first slasher horrors to be made. It was also one of the films that really put the writer and director Alfred Hitchcock on the map sited by many critic as one of his best films, although he seems to have worked on quite a number of projects before that one, a number of which are still popular.

The movie Psycho has been made over at least once, but I doubt that the more recent once would have gained as much attention and praise as the original, which left me wondering, how the original person

or persons came up with the plot. I’ve read mentions that the 1960s version might have been based on some real events. However, what I do know is that it was done based on a book that was released in the same period of time.

In the movie a secretary Marion Crane steals $40, 000 worth of money that a client was going to take to build a house and disappears with it. She drives for miles and ditches her car when a police officer sees her sleeping in it on the highway. The woman begins her journey as a fugitive again and eventually checks into the Bates Motel owned by a mother and her son that is off the highway. When Marion speaks to Norman Bates the son, he claims that is mother is very ill and he doesn’t want to put her into an institution. Despite that, it is clear that Marion

gets comfortable and feels that she has gotten away from her crimes. However, she soon finds herself in worse trouble when Norman Bates stabs her to death.

Norman Bates continues on his killing spree by brutally murdering the detective that is investigating Marion’s case and believes that he has found her. However, when the secretary’s sister and boyfriend come to town to do some investigating for themselves, they soon find out about Norman’s dark secret.

While I love this movie dearly, there are a few aspects of it that might have some younger viewers hesitating to watch it because it seems or feels outdated. Some of the acting is a bit exaggerated for one to the point of being almost comical in some scenes. An example of this would be the detective Arbogast’s death scene, where Norman appears and stabs him to death on the stairs. Arbogast’s shocked face was not very impressive and ...

• Alfred Hitchcocks Psycho (1960 movie)
      looked almost comical.

The background music is also a little outdated in my opinion. In the same scene where Arbogast ascends the stairs the suspenseful music in the background is very subtle, and doesn’t make you as edgy as you probably would be when watching a more modern horror. It is only the slow almost leisurely pace of the detective, the quiet and the angle of the camera that make it obvious that something is going to happen.

I feel like even the horror makeup is outdated since with the brutality of which Bates murders his victims I expect to see more blood and splatter. It has nothing to do with whether or not I might or might not have a gore fetish, but it’s just based on logics and simple gravity and other aspects of force. However, for some reason the victims’ blood splatter and pooling is always just a slight spray and very neat.

Despite all of that I still love the movie and respect all those who were involved in its making because it was original and seemed far ahead of its time. Even the camera angles in my personal observation seemed to be a little different and ahead of its times.

I loved the writing in particular since not only was it original, but it was creative and tried to be as realistic as possible. I think that is one of the things that separates it from one of the older horror movies for me, because it mirrors real life as much as it can. Even the psychoanalysis of Bates had a ring of reality to it.

I recommend the movie Psycho to people who like older horror and thriller movies. I’m giving it a nine because of its progressiveness and the possible influence that it might have had on some recent horror and thriller films.

next in digest
Andrew Leither says :

I loved your review and the movie Psycho really brings back a lot of chilling memories. I believe the first movies the original are usually the best. I am thinking of writing product reviews here and movie reviews. I like this site and it’s user easy friendly. Can you please share with me how to sign up and what do you get paid and what I can do to make this great place to be.

Pamela Dunn says :

One can never go wrong with a Classic. Loved this movie and the ones that came after. Kudos to sequels

Robert Schmidt says :

re : The background music is also a little outdated in my opinion
The music from the movie is a classic. The music gets the viewer all worked up for the ending.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111041629220930/k2311a0411/4.11.14