Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer
  • Unfortunately, they do not carry my favorite concealer brand POPbeauty, so I chose something similar
  • This Tarte concealer comes in stick form which I prefer to liquid concealers
  • I typically use concealer to hide dark, under eye circles, and the difference between wearing this product and wearing foundation only is amazing
  • It kind of fills in my eyes when they're sunken/puffy from not sleeping, and they definitely mask the color of the under eye circles
  • I would recommend it though not necessarily buy it for myself unless I couldn't get my favorite concealer

• by Melanie Noelll

Concealer is one of my basic, daily beauty products, and it simply makes me feel more comfortable to wear it, even when I’m not wearing other makeup. For this reason, I typically invest more money into my concealer than other beauty products, and where I live, Ulta is my go-to beauty store. However, I was recently without concealer while out of town, and I ran in to a Sephora inside JCPenney’s to pick up concealer. Unfortunately, they do not carry my favorite concealer brand POPbeauty, so I chose something similar: Tarte’s Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer. While it doesn’t quite compare to my POP concealer, this is a really great product if you want excellent coverage and flawless looking skin.

This Tarte concealer comes in “stick” form which I prefer to liquid

concealers. It’s apparently made from Amazonian clay, and the consistency is thick, but blends well and smooths into the skin. I love that it’s full coverage; I typically use concealer to hide dark, under eye circles, and the difference between wearing this product and wearing foundation only is amazing. The dark purple color is almost entirely gone. It kind of fills in my eyes when they’re sunken/puffy from not sleeping, and they definitely mask the color of the under eye circles. The one thing that I do find a bit negative about the consistency of the product is that if I squint while applying this concealer, it gets a bit clumpy in the creases. However, it does blend well if you have the proper brushes. And the “stick” is much slimmer than
      my POPbeauty concealer and more capable of getting more precise coverage around my eyes.

Aside from the good coverage, the product is labeled as cruelty free, meaning the company does not test on animals. This is somewhat common with high end brands at stores like Sephora and Ulta, but it’s definitely a huge selling point for me. I found this at the Sephora in Penney’s which is much smaller than a regular Sephora. You can also find it at Ulta or purchase it online from their website. It’s readily available among high end retailers, although it’s not so simple as finding it at a drug store. At $22, it’s average priced for a high end concealer, though much more expensive than drug store brands. However, I believe the quality definitely outweighs the high ...

• Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer
      price tag. One stick lasted me over 2 month of daily wear - closer to 3 if you consider that I took off for a about two weeks when I couldn’t wear makeup because of my dry skin.

My one complaint with this product is the limited colors that almost replicate one another without actually providing any diverse options. I bought the light medium beige color which looked almost exactly like the light medium honey. In retrospect, both colors are too pinkish for my olive undertones although they were the closest in tone and undertone I could find. While they have more options than POPbeauty, they don’t necessarily have a color that matches my skin tone perfectly the way POP does. The colors cater more to pink undertones and lighter skin tones,

so I am a bit disappointed in the color varieties. The waterproof properties seem to be fairly true for light amounts of water, but it does wear off over several hours of regular wear, particularly in rain or if you cry.

Overall, this is a good product if you can find your skin tone match, and the natural ingredients are good on your skin. The great coverage is perfect for problem areas, and it lasts for a decent amount of time; however, you will find it difficult to match skin tones if you have certain undertones outside of Tarte’s range. The price is high if you’re not used to paying high-end beauty products, but it’s high quality. I would recommend it though not necessarily buy it for myself unless I couldn’t get my favorite concealer.

Rebecca Lee says :

Does this work for body scars too? Or is just for facial use?

nitakb says :

Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer is formulated to be used for facial use.

But you can purchase a specific product formulated to covered body scars, such as Makeup for ever Full Cover Concealer. It’s long lasting, oil free and waterproof. It’s also safe for use on sensitive skin. It’s formulated to cover scars, hyperpigmentation, major discoloration, burns, and even tattoos.

You can purchase this product on amazon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 318041629001030/k2311a048/4.8.14