The Invisible Woman (2013)  » Movies  »
  • After reading the details of the film I was impressed, especially because it was a Ralph Fiennes film
  • Being quite a movie buff and a huge Ralph Fiennes fan, I decided to watch it online
  • This feeling is reciprocated by Nelly at the cost of a divorce between Dickens and his wife
  • I think she has carved out the plight of her character exceptionally well

• by may rain

After reading the details of the film I was impressed, especially because it was a Ralph Fiennes film. Being quite a movie buff and a huge Ralph Fiennes fan, I decided to watch it online. Ralph Fiennes’ performance in The Reader had already inspired me in a number of ways but after watching him as Charles Dickens I fell head over heals for him.

Based on the book The Invisible Woman: The Story of Nelly Ternan and Charles Dickens by Claire Tomalin, this film has an ordinary storyline presented in an extraordinary manner. A man, whose love for his wife of many years has worn off, finds himself drowning in a talented young woman he comes

across. Charles Dickens is the man and Nelly Tarnin is the woman. Nelly, at present is a mother and a wife to a man named George Wharton Robinson, who goes back in time to relive the moments she has spent with Dickens. The entire film is about her deep relationship with the famous extraordinary English writer Charles Dickens.

Nelly meets Dickens in person when she, guided by her mother and two sisters, goes to rehearse Dickens and Wilky Collin’s play The Frozen Deep. She possesses a strong likelihood for Dicken’s work and his dedication to writing. Her bold and charismatic performance on stage instills in Dickens an admiration for her. He is quickly fascinated by her charm and falls in love with her. This feeling is reciprocated by Nelly at the cost of a divorce between Dickens and his wife.

I was all steamed up at the point when Charlie Dickens, one of Dickens’ sons, was reading to his mother about his father’s decision to separate from her that had been published in that day’s newspaper. I could very well relate to Mrs Dickens’ condition as I have been there.

The role of Nelly Ternan played by Felicity Jones could not have been played with more perfection. She is young, immaturish, calm, thoughtful, and an enthusiastic learner with deep eyes. Joanna Scanlan as Catherine Dickens has been excellent. I think she has ...

• The Invisible Woman (2013)
      carved out the plight of her character exceptionally well. Kristin Scott Thomas has wonderfully portrayed Catherine Ternan as a protective mother. I have, more or less, liked the acting of all the actors. The direction is pretty satisfactory though there have been times when we get to know the reply before the question is actually shot. For example, when Dickens and Nelly are having an argument outdoors and Dickens tells Nelly that he does not love his wife anymore because ’she does not see it’ and Nelly exclaims ‘it’ even before he finishes the line.

What I find controversial about this film is Dickens leaving Nelly bleeding and miserable after the train accident to find and

pick up one of his pages from his Great Expectations manuscript. How could a man who has inspired the world with his thought provoking writings aimed at the poor, miserable, and homeless people leave his lady love when she needed him the most. Another thing I felt is that this film needed to speed up a bit. At times the dialogues seemed longer than I could endure, especially the praises received by Dickens at the end of any of his performances.

However I find this film quite entertaining as it depicts pure love, lust, and betrayal in a moderate fashion. I think you will like The Invisible Woman even if you are not into biographical drama films.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 115041628880130/k2311a045/4.5.14