Shaolin Mystery: Tale of the Jade Dragon Staff, game  » Games  »
  • The puzzles are my obvious favorite in games of this kind, and in this one they are the purrrrrrfect sort, just about as many kinds as many puzzles you find, and there were probably about three that I just had to skip because they were the kind where let's say you have 12 switches, and find out which to move, and of course it has to be in a certain order too, to open the seal
  • Screw that I say, I like it when the game doesn't feel stuck for ages

• by Judit Marjanovics

One should just buy a nice big hard drive of a few terrabites, and keep it for Big Fish games to fill up with!

Hidden object games can get old. Puzzle tasks never can!

The one thing we, who aren’t into shoot em up craze, love about Big Fish games is that it’s always so vivid, creative and versatile. Although you see element reused many times it can never get too old or not fun enough.

The same stands for just another piece of their creations, Shaolin Mystery: Tale of the Jade Dragon Staff.

It’s just like those other hidden object games, starting with a story, same old stuff, girl, mystery, adventure. And same structure, go, look around in the different

scenes, whatever is clickable click it, find objects, put things to their right place, solve puzzles on the way.

The great lure to me was not only the fact that these games are always so peaceful, relaxing, cheerful, and that they have a variety of puzzle games inside, the main attraction was the simple fact that it included an Asian theme. Namely the Chinese sort. Give it to me! All of it!!!

I tend to be a total spoil sport whenever it comes to anything historical. I just have to watch the details, and have to groan whenever I see anything that isn’t as accurate as the level of my knowledge allows me to guess. As far as I recall (because it has been a year or two since I played this game) I didn’t find anything that was pretty much outrageously off, although I don’t expect much from game makers who manage to spit a new one out every day. It was to my great delight to see that historically and culturally it was as close to Chinese things as a game on this level can have it. Don’t expect detailed historical or mythological info of course. It is an outstanding thing nowadays when a game can manage a decent level of accuracy in this sense.

• Shaolin Mystery: Tale of the Jade Dragon Staff, game
      just about as many kinds as many puzzles you find, and there were probably about three that I just had to skip because they were the kind where let’s say you have 12 switches, and find out which to move, and of course it has to be in a certain order too, to open the seal. That kind. Where you are struggling with the same thing for 10 minutes already and still nothing happens. (Let me go further, where you’re about to solve the puzzle, then one switch sets it back almost to the beginning.) Screw that I say, I like it when the game doesn’t feel stuck for ages. Exceptions are the puzzles that don’t mess
      with you like that of course, and where you can rely on your brain and not just randomness.

As I remember the story was good enough too, and I am just dying for the mythological touch, in everything. Except when it’s horrendously incorrect, naturally.

I was so incredibly happy when I saw that the game has a second episode too, because this one was impeccably relaxing to revel in through the late hours of the evening, and of course when you finish it the story just all comes out finished, rounded, complete.

Highly recommended for those who don’t require highest quality typical popular games but still want to enjoy a beautifully put together, pleasing adventure. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 285041628870130/k2311a045/4.5.14