Abita Mardi Gras Bock, seasonal beer  » Food  »
  • Although it's not my favorite color combination, I like that they incorporated the theme into the logo
  • The aroma smells of bread and malt, so it's definitely a heavier scent than that of light summer beers or IPAs
  • I think you can still smell a bit of hops, which I normally don't enjoy, but this beer seems to blend malt and hops in a way that it's a very balanced flavor
  • It's a different than most beers I drink, but I enjoy it with fried dishes and spicy dishes

• by Melanie Noelll

We picked up the Abita Mardi Gras Bock to go with a southern-themed dinner one night, and it paired really well with the somewhat heavier, spicier food that we ate that night. It’s drinkable and versatile enough for a number of different seasons and dishes.

The Abita Bock is a seasonal beer that is released from January through March. I’ve seen it at a few beer/liquor stores, and it’s also available at some grocery stores as long as it is in season. I’m not a huge fan of the dark colors on the packaging, but I do think they are very representative

of the season in which the beer is released as well as the namesake holiday: the logo uses a deep maroon-purple, straw colored yellow and deep forest green, reminiscent of the purple, green and gold of Mardi Gras. Although it’s not my favorite color combination, I like that they incorporated the theme into the logo.

I don’t drink Bock beers very often, but I do like it because it is more malty than hoppy. I drank my beer right out of the bottle, so I can’t comment on the color and head formed from pouring the beer; however, it’s definitely a good enough beer that it tastes good straight from the bottle. The aroma smells of bread and malt, so it’s definitely a heavier scent than that of light summer beers or IPAs. I think you can still smell a bit of hops, which I normally don’t enjoy, but this beer seems to blend malt and hops in a way that it’s a very balanced flavor. The beer is a bit crisp and dry, and it’s got a medium-full body and mouthfeel. The carbonation is also well-balanced with the combination of flavors (probably a good offset to the hops if you’re not a ...

• Abita Mardi Gras Bock,  seasonal beer
      big hops fan like me!) but I find that it sort of lingers longer than I would like. There is also a lingering aftertaste that turns from good to a bit stale. It’s a different than most beers I drink, but I enjoy it with fried dishes and spicy dishes. I probably would not drink it on its own, though, and it doesn’t necessarily stand out in a way that I would seek it out to purchase at a bar or to buy again. There are definitely beers that I would choose over this one.

As a seasonal beer, I expect

this beer to be a bit higher priced than some of the year-round available brews. I picked this up for about $13 at a liquor store, but as mentioned before, I have seen it at grocery stores like Publix once its in season. Because that’s a fairly common supermarket chain, it seems to be regularly available which is good.

Overall this beer is good, but nothing great. I like Bock, and this one seems to be a good one that pairs well with food. It’s moderately priced and readily available, so I would drink it again though not necessarily seek it out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2731031628800731/k2311a0331/3.31.14