Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Set: 10 Piece Classic Block Set
  • I cook a lot, but I have always been too cheap to purchase a good knife set because I learned to cook with very little
  • Now that I have purchased my Victorinox 10 piece set, I don't think I could ever go back to my cheap knives again
  • I know that department stores have sold them as well because I first became aware of the brand while shopping at either Macy's or Dillard's, so if you are the type of person who likes to check things out first, they are available offline as well
  • I love the weight of these knives - you can feel that they are well balanced and heavy enough that you need only use a gentle thrusting motion to get the cut you want
  • I think for the quality, it's a pretty good value, but I did knock my rating down a bit because it's hard to swallow that price tag if you've never bought quality cookware before

• by Melanie Noell

I cook a lot, but I have always been too cheap to purchase a good knife set because I learned to cook with very little. Now that I have purchased my Victorinox 10 piece set, I don’t think I could ever go back to my cheap knives again!

The block that comes with this knife set is already of higher quality than my older, cheaper knife sets, and it feels good to know that these expensive knives are safely contained within this quality block - no more chipping if I knick the side with a knife!

The set comes with 10 pieces: 6″ boning knife, 3 and 1/4″ paring knife (one each serrated and

straight,) 4 and 1/4″ serrated utility knife, 8 and 1/4″ serrated bread knife, one each 5″ and 8″ chef’s straight knife, kitchen shears and a sharpener. These are basic knives that I am able to accomplish most anything with, but the set doesn’t include any specialty tools. The set is listed at $280 originally, but you can get them through Amazon for $170 right now. I know that department stores have sold them as well because I first became aware of the brand while shopping at either Macy’s or Dillard’s, so if you are the type of person who likes to check things out first, they are available offline as well.

I love the weight of these knives - you can feel that they are well balanced and heavy enough that you need only use a gentle thrusting motion to get the cut you want. It helps that the blades come incredibly sharp, so slicing through tough fruits and vegetables is very easy. The handles have a nice ergonomic design to them, and while I’m not a huge fan of the feel of the handle material, they are comfortable and stable when cutting. I’m really thankful the set came with a sharpener although I had a few issues using it initially because I’d never had one before; it’s a great way to keep everything just as sharp and ...

• Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Set: 10 Piece Classic Block Set
      efficient as when you bought it. I could do without the shears because I don’t notice too much of a difference between them and other, cheaper kitchen shears, but since they are part of the package, I’ve replaced my old shears. I’ve read that they can be machine washed, but I don’t have a washing machine and I would recommend cleaning them by hand just to keep them in great condition to last a long time. I use the bread knife all the time, and the only time I had a problem was when I was rushing to trim the edges of a very crusty French loaf and a sliced my finger. Of course
      because these are high quality knives, they are very sharp and you must be careful when using them because they can cut quite deeply! However, if you keep them sharpened and well cared for, it’s rare that you will exert enough force to slip and cut yourself. Just be careful!

Overall, this is an amazing first set of quality knives, and I highly recommend them to anyone who cooks a lot. I think for the quality, it’s a pretty good value, but I did knock my rating down a bit because it’s hard to swallow that price tag if you’ve never bought quality cookware before! However, these knives making cooking a pleasure, and they will last a long time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5331031628790731/k2311a0331/3.31.14