Sony ICD-BX132 Digital Voice Recorder
  • I bought this voice recorder at Best Buy, and it has been a good product at a decent price thus far
  • I was a little disappointed because I didn't need a lot of storage space and the cheapest voice recorder models were sold out, but the price wasn't too bad for being the next step up
  • I like that this is a Sony product because it's a brand that I trust - I have owned other Sony products that I'm happy with - and not some unknown brand
  • It instructs that you take the screen protector off and then pull out a pin of some sort, which I don't think I ever really figured out
  • I have small issues with some of the buttons and batteries, but overall, it's a good value that I would recommend to others

• by Melanie Noell

I bought this voice recorder at Best Buy, and it has been a good product at a decent price thus far. The simple design make for easy use if you’re not great with technology (like me!) but it also seems to have extra features for those who need more than to simply record and playback.

I picked up this voice recorder for $36 with $2 off for it being clearance at Best Buy. When I look online, the price seems fair for what other retailers are selling it for. I was a little disappointed because I didn’t need a lot of storage space and the cheapest voice recorder models

were sold out, but the price wasn’t too bad for being the next step up. Especially considering some of the voice recorders were nearly $100!

I like that this is a Sony product because it’s a brand that I trust - I have owned other Sony products that I’m happy with - and not some unknown brand. The product is made in China, which I’m not thrilled about, but I wasn’t expecting American-made for something simple and cheap. The recorder is very lightweight and the plastic used for making it seems a bit cheap (easily breakable,) and while I would prefer something a little heavier (keeps me from

losing stuff!) the lightness makes it easy to throw in my bag and take with me.

It takes 2 AAA batteries which are included for which I’m really thankful because I don’t normally have AAA batteries on hand. And the packaging was surprisingly simple to open and get the product out.

When I first tried to turn the product on, I had a few issues following the instructions. It instructs that you take the screen protector off and then pull out a pin of some sort, which I don’t think I ever really figured out. The recorder turned on, anyway, so I’m not too worried about it! The buttons ...

• Sony ICD-BX132 Digital Voice Recorder
      are fairly simple - large record button and play/enter button on the front, along with a rewind, pause and fast forward button. There are also buttons for Menu and Folder which helps you go through and find different recordings and organize things. The On/Off/Hold button is on the side, and it’s the type of button you have to slide and hold; I’m not a fan because I find these wear out quickly. I also panicked at one point that it wasn’t working because I wasn’t holding it down long enough to turn on.

There are plugs for a microphone and headphones at the top of the button, and

I was surprised at how well it captured voices without either extras for being so small and simple. It apparently records over 2000 hours of audio which is incredibly impressive, and likely more than I’ll ever need! There’s a volume button on the side and it’s small enough that it’s not invasive for whatever you’re recording. I used mine for interviews and just set it in the middle of the table, easily capturing everyone’s voices.

Overall, it’s a very good product with great capability for a number of different situations. I have small issues with some of the buttons and batteries, but overall, it’s a good value that I would recommend to others.

Andrew Leither says :

Not bad for $ 36 and the review says it all. It’s nice to know it takes 2 AAA cell batteries and with this kind of recorder and technology I can purchase perhaps on Ebay I know I need something to speak into and record my movie script.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1625031628580831/k2311a0325/3.25.14