Laura Branigan (singer)  » People  »
  • There were a couple of people who I considered as my favourite artistes too, which were of course those people whose songs I liked a little bit more than others
  • The thing that most impressed me about Branigan’s music long before the lyrics was her style and her voice
  • I also noticed that she had a lot of control over her voice by the way she would sing certain notes and then transition to others, which would be very hard for people who weren’t as experienced or those who didn’t have as much talent
  • Whereas albums like “Branigan” and “Self Control” has songs on it that were actually fairly enjoyable, her last studio album, “Over My Heart” was downright boring
  • I definitely recommend the music of Laura Branigan to people who like pop and dance music from the eighties

• by Redtape

While I mentioned that I have a love for dance music from the nineteen nineties, there was a point in my life that I began to like pop and dance hits and even new wave from the eighties a little bit more. There were a couple of people who I considered as my favourite artistes too, which were of course those people whose songs I liked a little bit more than others. I soon discovered that the singer, “Laura Branigan” was one of them since at the time I liked quite a number of her songs even though I didn’t exactly know who she was.

Laura has been dead since the year 2004, but it has only been since she passed away suddenly of a cerebral aneurysm that I discovered that it was she who was the mystery woman who sang some of the songs that I liked. Three of those songs in particular were “Gloria”, “Forever Young” and “Self Control”.

The thing that most impressed me about Branigan’s

music long before the lyrics was her style and her voice. I remember thinking for a long time when I heard her songs that her voice was very strong, even though I didn’t really hear her show it off by belting certain notes, like maybe Whitney Houston did. I also noticed that she had a lot of control over her voice by the way she would sing certain notes and then transition to others, which would be very hard for people who weren’t as experienced or those who didn’t have as much talent.

When I was a little older and I began to listen to the lyrics of songs a little bit more, I began to appreciate the lyrics of some of her music. I’m a bit regretful, that most of the appreciation came after I became an adult and of course she was dead by that time. One of the songs in particular that I came to appreciate over the others was the one called “Gloria”. This is because it tells the tragic story of a woman who used to be beautiful in her youth and she had a lot of men chasing her, but now that she’s getting older no one seems to want her anymore and she’s haunted by the ghosts of her past. I’ve also heard someone else say that the subject of the song was actually a “washed up” prostitute.

One of the things that I discovered about her was that after a while even though she never really stopped singing, it was like her fire, romance and passion that she was known for in her music just sort of fizzled out into something that was almost unrecognisable. What I mean by that was I remember listening to her first album, “Branigan” and then listening to her last album and the two were almost completely different in terms of style. I even had to wonder if I was actually listening to the same artiste. Whereas albums like “Branigan” and “Self Control” has songs on ...

• Laura Branigan (singer)
      it that were actually fairly enjoyable, her last studio album, “Over My Heart” was downright boring.

Something else that I didn’t really like about her music that I’m sure a lot of her fans might blast me for, was that sometimes, listening to an entire album would get unbearably boring after a while. Listening to her last album was downright torture for me, even though I understand that she might have been experimenting with a different style. However, it just never worked for her and her voice. Her first couple albums were easier to listen to, but while I liked her and some of her songs, I don’t think I could listen to an entire album at once without losing interest.

Nevertheless, while most of the times she seemed to have control over her voice, and I admired her for it, there were other times where I was a little confused, because it was like she didn’t know what to do with it, or her personality just wouldn’t allow her to

drive just a little more passion into her music. This is why even though I admire her and I think that she made a lot of contribution to the music industry, she can be easy to forget.

I don’t know much about her personal life, especially in the eighties when her career was still very solid. However, I do know that she had a husband who was much older than her. I remember seeing in an interview that I watched after she died where she had put her career on hold to take care of him since he was sick. Also, even though I thought that her career might have ended after her husband died in the 90s, she was actually still performing on stage and on tour in different parts of the world.

I definitely recommend the music of Laura Branigan to people who like pop and dance music from the eighties. However, my recommendation has a warning that she can become a little boring after a while.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5224031628480631/k2311a0324/3.24.14