Community Season 5 Episode 10: Advanced Advanced Dungeons and Dragons  » TV  »
  • What do I love more than Dungeons and Dragons
  • Ok, maybe not, but I can't deny how much I enjoy being in on the jokes
  • So even before the episode goes on I know I'm in for a custom made treat
  • I found this scenario to be promising, as I'm often amused by the Dean's less than secret obsession over Jeff
  • What I enjoyed most though, really, was Abed as the Dungeon Master

• by Meagan Dunford

I love Dungeons and Dragons. So. Very. Much. What do I love more than Dungeons and Dragons? Watching people make fun of Dungeons and Dragons. Ok, maybe not, but I can’t deny how much I enjoy being in on the jokes. That being said, this episode of Community just tickles me pink. Community in particular has a great way of combining satire, cynicism, and whimsy that I enjoy, and a previous episode with a similar premise. So even before the episode goes on I know I’m in for a custom made treat. Warning, I’m going to explain the premise, there may be a few spoilers.

Guest star David Cross as Hank,

who plays characters I always enjoy even if he’s typecast a lot, shows up in this episode. He plays the estranged son of Hickey, who proclaims that Dungeons and Dragons is all his son cares about. That and he wasn’t invited to his grandson’s birthday party. So there’s your instigator. In a grand scheme to reunite father and son they reach out to the world of fantasy.

Hank (Cross) immediately voices a frustration that I’ve seen in many players, the lack of creative freedom, and through that sees just quickly through the plan. To Abed’s dismay Hank quickly shuffles the character sheets around completely realigning the in character universe that was planned. The father son relationship that was to be centered around Hank and Hickey is transposed to Jeff and the Dean. I found this scenario to be promising, as I’m often amused by the Dean’s less than secret obsession over Jeff.

Hanks’s character isn’t really interested in making the adventure work, which considering his father and him don’t get along and this entire scenario is contrived to manipulate him is not an inappropriate action. His hijinks result in the party being split. Hank and Hickey turn the game into a competition, first to kill the necromancer plaguing the lands wins. With the win comes Hickey’s right to ...

• Community Season 5 Episode 10: Advanced Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
      go to the birthday party or Hanks right to exclude him from a few major family holidays so that he feels comfortable going. This boosts up the tension in typical Community style, with silliness.

In spite of the combination of Community and D&D I’d have to say that this episode wasn’t the best of them. That’s not to say it was bad but, I really felt like I’d enjoy it more than I did. Quite a few of the in jokes felt forceful and stretched, and I think that it was a poor choice to separate the Dean and Jeff. I feel like there’s a lot of missed opportunities

there, though the moments they were together were some of the highlights through the rest of the episode.

What I enjoyed most though, really, was Abed as the Dungeon Master. The characters attention to small inconsequential detail and wild obsessive imagination make him the perfect match for the part, and just like the previous episode where they played he stole the scenes.

I’ve followed Community since its pilot and have had a lot of fun, and though this episode doesn’t shine like many of the other gems, it gave me a few good laughs, and 20 minutes of my time isn’t too much to waste for that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1024031628380631/k2311a0324/3.24.14