M People (music group)
  • I guess it’s a little strange judging from my personality and my other likes and dislikes, but I believe it stems from me hearing it so much, and liking the dance music as a young child back then
  • One of their most popular songs in my opinion is the one called “Moving on Up”
  • Nevertheless, I thought it wasn’t very spectacular because I feel like I’ve seen a couple other videos like this throughout the nineties when club music was more popular
  • What I liked the most about “Moving on Up” is the piano riff, which I think made it more unique in comparison to a lot of other club music around since most of them were more about electronic music
  • Nevertheless, I would recommend the songs of “M People” to people who are interested in 90s dance music like me, and maybe even modern day house music

• by Redtape

One of my guilty pleasures is listening to dance music rave, euro-dance and euro-pop from the nineteen nineties. I guess it’s a little strange judging from my personality and my other likes and dislikes, but I believe it stems from me hearing it so much, and liking the dance music as a young child back then. The group called “M People” wasn’t so popular it seems in places like even my country for example. I only recently heard of them after trying to find a song that was popular and I didn’t know who sung it. However, I eventually found out more about their group and when I listened to some of their songs I actually found that I loved their style.

“M People”, which I later found out is short for the name of

the guy who actually formed the group, does mostly house and dance music. The group, which originated in England, is still around these days with the same original lineup of people that it begun with. Even though their songs aren’t as popular, they mostly perform the songs that they had released in the 90s.

One of their most popular songs in my opinion is the one called “Moving on Up”. I can’t recall where I first heard it, but I generally assume that it must have been on the radio or I probably heard someone playing it while passing since I never saw the video until very recently. This was the same song that I mentioned I didn’t know who sung, and that opened me up to finding out more about this group after I

discovered who did it. The video for it isn’t very spectacular in my opinion as it shows the group in the club scene from the nineties as well as a drama unfolding that is on the same theme of what the song is about. Nevertheless, I thought it wasn’t very spectacular because I feel like I’ve seen a couple other videos like this throughout the nineties when club music was more popular.

What I liked the most about “Moving on Up” is the piano riff, which I think made it more unique in comparison to a lot of other club music around since most of them were more about electronic music. The piano riff is so catchy that I’ve found that if I hear the song once, it’s almost like I can hear it playing ...

• M People (music group)
      over and over in my head.

Of course, the group had other songs even though most people seem to know them for the one I just mentioned. “M People” also did songs such as “Colour My Life”, “Open Your Heart”, “Don’t Look Any Further” and “Excited”. These songs, just like the group were mostly popular in the United Kingdom club scene at the time, and so I doubt that a lot of people in places like the United States and some other parts of the world might be very familiar with them. Nevertheless, that does not mean you shouldn’t still check them out if you like 90s dance music like me.

The amount of information that I have on the members of the group themselves is very meagre. I think that there are about four of

them, but so far, most of the information I’ve been able to find has been on two of them, Heather Small and Mike Pickering. Heather, I know is the vocalist for the group and is mostly known by her distinctive, deep and sultry voice. The story on how she met DJ Mike Pickering is a little sketchy, but I do know that she met him very young and that was how they formed the group even though they were both from two previous groups. I’ve been unable to find almost nothing about Mike.

I tried listening to some of their more modern music, but I wasn’t too thrilled with it. Nevertheless, I would recommend the songs of “M People” to people who are interested in 90s dance music like me, and maybe even modern day house music.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1425021627210928/k2311a0225/2.25.14