The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Movie)  » Movies  »
  • I thought the first movie was okay, giving it a rating of 7/10, but I'm glad to say that this second installment is a huge improvement over the first one
  • The main thing I noticed with Catching Fire that wasn't apparent in the first movie was that the scenes were directed really well
  • I was definitely pleased with the director this time around
  • Overall, I really enjoyed the acting in Catching Fire
  • With the same great acting, improved directing, and stunning cinematography, I would recommend the movie to everyone, especially Hunger Games fans

• by Tim Ertol

As an avid reader of the Hunger Games trilogy, I was very excited for the next installment in the movie franchise. I thought the first movie was okay, giving it a rating of 7/10, but I’m glad to say that this second installment is a huge improvement over the first one.

The main thing I noticed with Catching Fire that wasn’t apparent in the first movie was that the scenes were directed really well. All the shots were tight and well-placed, and I

thought the scenes flowed smoothly. I was definitely pleased with the director this time around.

All of the important cast members of the last movie returned to make Catching Fire, and I’m really happy for it. Jennifer Lawrence portrays the main character, Katniss Everdeen, very accurately. Upon re-readings of the novel, I tend to imagine Katniss as Lawrence, which really shows the strength of her character. A great addition to the cast was the late Philip Seymour Hoffman as Plutarch Heavensbee. I thought that Hoffman did a wonderful job of portraying the subtle hints of Plutarch’s true intentions, especially during the dance scene at the Presidential party. Overall, I really enjoyed the acting in Catching Fire.

In terms of being accurate to the novel, I think that Catching Fire did the best it could in the time that it had. I’m really glad that they included certain, somewhat minor scenes, such as when Cinna was beaten right before the Hunger Games started. This was one of ...

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Movie)
      my most memorable scenes in the entire novel, and it translated really well to the big screen. Other than that, I think the writers/director did a great job of incorporating all of the important and memorable scenes from the novel into the movie, creating a complete story. I don’t that that you need to have read a single page of the novels to enjoy the movie.

One thing that really stood out to me in the film was the cinematography. The overhead shots

of the vast forests around District 13 were amazing to see in the theaters. Also, the footage of the Capitol city was really well done, even though it was mostly CGI. I recommend watching Catching Fire on a big screen, if you can.

Overall, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was a great addition to the series, as well as an improvement over the first movie. With the same great acting, improved directing, and stunning cinematography, I would recommend the movie to everyone, especially Hunger Games fans.

Melannie Domingo says :

re : With the same great acting, improved directing, and stunning cinematography, I would recommend the movie to everyone, especially Hunger Games fans
I am an avid fan of Hunger Games even before the movies where released and shown to the public. I have a complete collection of all of its three books and I have read them all by heart that is why I was expecting every juicy scene that I have read in the book be put into action in the movie, but I believe that it didn’t quite materialized anyhow. I was expecting more battles and more fight scenes than what was show in the movie. I thought the movie was a very shortened version of the book. The cinematography and graphics on the other hand are all very good, when it comes to the quality of the movie when it comes to its visual effects I am all hands down.

Adityaa says :

I loved Hunger Games Trilogy series. I even fell in love with the protagonist Katniss Everdeen. I was so much involved with the characters of the novel that when I watched the movie, I was very much disappointed by the cast. In the first novel, Katniss is just 16 years old. The one who played the role of Katniss in the movie was 22 years old at that time. The other casts were also older. When you read a novel, you will picture the characters of the novel and you may want them to be like this and that when you finally see them in the big screen. But if they are older or different from the characters you have pictured in your mind, you cannot watch the movie with involvement and it will not leave a lasting impression with you. This is what happened to me.

Melissa says :

Yes I was also very pleased with the hunger games. I can not think of any actors or actresses to portray this story than the ones that were casted.It was just a beautiful movie. I can not wait for the next one.

Melanie Noell says :

The cinematography is fantastic and now that you mention it, there is a definite improvement in directing. I don’t read the books and I thought it was fantastic. I do, however, hear that fans of the book aren’t as happy with it. A lot of fans of books have a hard time separating book from movie and are disappointed when their favorite parts aren’t in the movie.

Katrina C. says :

Hi, I am also a very avid fan of the books. I agree with you that the second movie is a major improvement in comparison to the first. However, it still has a long way to go before it could ever truly satisfy book fans like me. As I have observed, the entire Peeta and Katniss sad love story angle was overpowered by CG and whatnots. I mean sure, they’re not exactly the only thing to showcase, but for me, it’s what gives the most “feels” as tumblr people call it. As we await Mockingjay, I am really hoping they at least focus on the important ones this time. Peeta deserves to shine like the hero and unrequited lover he is.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1119021626970928/k2311a0219/2.19.14