Epic (movie)  » Movies  »
  • One of my favourites was the design for the flower child and her mother because I thought that it incorporated the design of the biological aspects of an actual flower with humanoid features very well
  • My personal costume favourite would have to be the dresses that Queen Tara wore, which were designed from a flower that looked as if that might or might not be white orchid
  • I would recommend this movie to people who love animated fantasy films

• by Redtape

One of the animated movies that I watched fairly recently was Epic. I must have seen the trailer advertise a million and one times and not show any interest in seeing it, before I finally yielded one day after one of my family members got the blu-ray version and told me that I would love watching it. In fact, the only reason why I really ended up watching it, was because I was working on my art and needed some kind of inspiration to continue. Well, I actually ended up liking the movie a lot despite the fact that it didn’t seem to get a very good rating on IMDB.

“Epic” is star packed. It has celebrities such as Colin Farrell, Beyonce Knowles, Amanda Seyfried, Pitbull and Stephen Tyler

all in one movie. However it wasn’t the star factor that made me like it, but it was really the plot that interested me. In it a young girl named Mary Katherine goes to live with her father, an eccentric scientist who lives in the midst of the forest. Mary Katherine is convinced he is crazy and delusional because for years he claimed that tiny people live in the forest. Nevertheless, her ideas and beliefs one day change when she goes into the forest and is shrunken by the forest Queen Tara. The girl is given the duty to protect a pod that Queen Tara has chosen as her heir, and it isn’t long before Mary Katherine finds herself in the midst of a war over territory.

Despite what people might say, I liked the character design in this movie because I felt that the transformation of different insects and fauna into almost human characters was very creative. I say this because at the time that I watched it, I was actually working on character design myself what was supposed to be somewhat similar and had a bit of a block. However, I’m proud to say that the designs in the movie acted as a muse for me.

One of my favourites was the design for the flower child and her mother because I thought that it incorporated the design of the biological aspects of an actual flower with humanoid features very well. Her petals were almost Victorian style hair, while the sepal, receptacle and other parts were ...

• Epic (movie)
      supposed to be her torso and dress.

There was also a lot of intricate detail put into the costumes that the characters were, which of course worked into the physical biology of whatever animal or plant their character was. My personal costume favourite would have to be the dresses that Queen Tara wore, which were designed from a flower that looked as if that might or might not be white orchid.

The voice acting in my personal opinion wasn’t too bad either. I thought that Beyonce Knowles did fairly well considering that acting is not her real profession, and I’ve always been sceptical at most of her as an actress. Everyone else who played the main characters, weren’t great either, but they made the movie watchable.

One of the

main reasons why I loved the storyline was because it was fantasy and reminded me of stories such as Thumbelina. However, I do believe that the storyline could have been worked on a bit more since there were instances in it that were more than a little predictable.

I loved the visuals in this movie as well, since it was so very colourful and at some points very realistic. A part from the plants and the flowers, I loved the hummingbirds the most and I loved the visuals in the part where the queen was moving around to choose a new pod as her successor.

I would recommend this movie to people who love animated fantasy films. It might not be a masterpiece, but it’s great for light-hearted entertainment.

Andrew Leith says :

A very good review loved it keep up the good work wish i could write reviews like this

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1119021626930928/k2311a0219/2.19.14