Captain Phillips (movie)  » Movies  »
  • It took me a couple days to watch it, not because it was boring, but because I was so strapped for time, but once I finished it I thought that it had the potential to be one of the best movies for the year
  • One of the things that stands out about this movie is the acting, which I thought was sheer brilliance and flawless from the bottom to the top
  • The actor Tom Hanks made an interesting and believable portrayal of the Captain as an intelligent no nonsense leader
  • There was also the fact that his character never got boring, even though I thought it would have been easy for something like that to happen judging from the personality of the captain
  • I don’t want to give away too many spoilers since I think it might ruin the fun, but I definitely recommend the movie “Captain Phillips” to people who like suspense movies and thrillers, and those who were familiar with the case when it happened in 2009

• by Redtape

One of my top ten movies that I watched this year so far has been the one named “Captain Phillips”. The thing about this movie though was that when I first saw the trailer advertising in late 2013 it didn’t really hold my interest enough for me to think of even watching it in theatres. However, it was actually my mother who persuaded me to watch it after the bought the blu ray. I was further motivated to watch it when I heard that it was nominated for a couple awards this year too. It took me a couple days to watch it, not because it was boring, but because I was so strapped for time, but once I finished it I thought that it had the potential to be one of the best movies for the year.

In 2009, a

United States cargo ship, the MV Maersk Alabama was hijacked by pirates in Somalian waters. From what I can remember, the ordeal had lasted for days, especially since I remember seeing international news stories of the situation for days on television, until the pirates were eventually brought to justice. The movie “Captain Phillips” is actually a thriller about the incident from the standpoint of the captain of the ship, Richard Phillips.

In the movie, Phillips has taken on a few new crew members for his ship, and is supposed to be on business transporting cargo through waters of the Middle East and North Africa. At first it seems like everything is business as usual, until he is alerted to two unknown vessels trailing the ship on the ships radar after a drill. On the first day, the ship manages to outrun the vessels by travelling at full speed. However, one of the vessels return the following day and the pirates that occupy it manage to actually come aboard the ship and take the crew and the captain hostage.

One of the things that stands out about this movie is the acting, which I thought was sheer brilliance and flawless from the bottom to the top. The actor Tom Hanks made an interesting and believable portrayal of the Captain as an intelligent no nonsense leader. The greatest thing about his performance too was that it was one of the most natural performances that I have ever seen in a long time. There was also the fact that his character never got boring, even though I thought it would have been easy for something like that to happen judging from the personality of the ...

• Captain Phillips (movie)
      captain.

The second best piece of acting was from a Somali-American actor Barkhad Abdi who portrayed the character Abduali Muse, who was apparently the ring leader of the pirates who had attacked the ship. From what I can understand, Abdi has been nominated for various awards including Best Supporting Actor, and frankly I’m not surprised because I thought that his performance was downright amazing for someone who seems to have just appeared out of nowhere and didn’t even study acting in high school or college. One of the things that made his performance so amazing was that it was so believable and he made his character both unpredictable and chilling. There was also the obvious chemistry that he had with the other actors despite him playing a villainous role.

I personally loved this movie because it was so suspenseful. It started

out a little slow, but from the moment that those two ships were spotted on the water, it morphed into something that kept me on the edge of my seat. It was the first movie I’ve watched in a long time that drew such a strong reaction from me, especially since I feel like watching so many horrors and thrillers has cause me to be desensitised over the past couple years. I believe my reaction had a lot to do with me knowing that it was a real life situation based on something that really happened.

I don’t want to give away too many spoilers since I think it might ruin the fun, but I definitely recommend the movie “Captain Phillips” to people who like suspense movies and thrillers, and those who were familiar with the case when it happened in 2009.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1119021626910928/k2311a0219/2.19.14