Relic Book by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
  • Unfortunately, however, my love for the monsters remained unrequited - most books about them are quite poor in content or boring, or both - even more than in the movies
  • Well, of course, I think there are some exceptions - such as the book Contest by Matthew Reilly
  • When I bought Relic I sincerely hoped that it would be one of the exceptions and I had hopes of that from the film, which was great
  • Relic is a novel that I managed to read very quickly and it was really easy for me to indulge in the interesting story

• by Svetoslav Bogdanov

I’ve always loved monsters. The very idea of ​​some kind of sinister creature at the thought of which people shake in fear has been really enjoyable to me, especially when that creature in question has appeared in front of just another wise guy who is trying to convince everyone how impossible the idea of the creature is. Unfortunately, however, my love for the monsters remained unrequited - most books about them are quite poor in content or boring, or both - even more than in the movies. “Jurassic Park” by Crichton, for example, is a brick of hundreds of pages filled with boring dialogues and almost no action. The novel based on the movie “Godzilla” on the other

hand pushed me away just by flipping through the pages. Well, of course, I think there are some exceptions - such as the book “Contest” by Matthew Reilly.

When I bought “Relic” I sincerely hoped that it would be one of the exceptions and I had hopes of that from the film, which was great. On the other hand, also the movie based on “Jurassic Park” is great, but… To get back to “Relic”. The concept of the book is simple but well-designed and the plot is intentionally made complicated by the authors. The story takes place at the Museum of Natural History in New York City , a huge building in which start happening brutal murders.

And all of this - just days before the opening of the super important for all exhibition “Superstitions.” On site arrives police officers, led by Lieutenant Dagosta and the FBI, presented by the remarkable agent Pendergast. They begin an investigation assisted by sensible scientists and also other scientists who are more opened to new interpretations of what is happening - the beautiful Margo Green and the genius in a wheelchair Dr. Frock .

The more they learn about the sinister cases, however , the more the evidence suggests that the killer is no ordinary psychopath, but a sinister monster brought from the jungles of South America. And when the bureaucrats manage to enforce the opening of the exhibition ...

• Relic Book by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
      despite the presence of the hideous creature the carnage is more than just guaranteed…

“Relic” is a novel that I managed to read very quickly and it was really easy for me to indulge in the interesting story. I really think that Preston and Child are talented storytellers who have managed to create a gallery of interesting characters, each with its own special features and style. Their style balances the moderate conversational and at times vulgar speech of everyday life,technical graphics and research and style, which I would define as an updated “Herbert Wells”. They are also able to create magnificent monster with a fascinating story, which actions, as the cover of the book warns, are not for the

squeamish people.

Unfortunately, the action in “Relic” is not enough and at times this same action is restricted to walks, flirts and talks, but not in battles with the fearsome creature - from this perspective I think that “Relic” is not as better as “Contest” by Matthew Reilly, for example, where the action was non-stop (and when there is a monster really this is what we want, right?). The ending was also somewhat disappointing, so this is why most likely it was (successfully) developed and dramatized in the movie. On the whole, however, I think that the book is a great fun and will appeal to all who love to be immersed in stories about huge creatures sinister lurking in the shadows…

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1718021626820228/k2311a0218/2.18.14