Teeth, movie by Mitchell Lichtenstein  » Movies  »
  • I first rented it because I thought it was going to be a cheesy horror flick that I could watch at midnight for cheap thrills while stuffing my face with popcorn
  • While not the bloody horror I was expecting, Teeth was definitely creepy
  • However, I thought that the drama was the best part
  • As I said earlier, the leading lady’s fear and anxiety was very real to me and the numerous boy’s reactions to losing certain important parts of their anatomy was so well done, I found it difficult to refrain from flinching
  • All in all, I highly recommend this movie

• by Jacob Mielke

Teeth is a movie written and directed by Mitchell Lichtenstein and stars Jess Weixler. It premiered at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. I’ll admit, this movie wasn’t what I expected. I first rented it because I thought it was going to be a cheesy horror flick that I could watch at midnight for cheap thrills while stuffing my face with popcorn.

I was surprised, to say the least. While not the bloody horror I was expecting, Teeth was definitely creepy. However, I thought that the drama was the best part.

The main character spends a lot of time coming to

terms with her abnormal bodily adaptation (I won’t say what it is, though. I hate giving away spoilers). Her fear and the way she goes about dealing with her new problems seems very realistic to me.

The acting was commendable. As I said earlier, the leading lady’s fear and anxiety was very real to me and the numerous boy’s reactions to losing certain important parts of their anatomy was so well done, I found it difficult to refrain from flinching. The main antagonist played his part well too.

He was clearly a terrible human being but also oddly sympathetic from a certain point of view. The one thing I didn’t like was the doctor’s reaction to having his fingers bitten off but I think that can be chalked up to bad writing. The movie isn’t just shock for the sake of shock, though.

There is an underlying message about sexual education and the repercussions of not properly teaching students about their bodies. The movie portrays female sexual education as laughingly bad; the main character doesn’t even know if the unusual growths in her own body are supposed to be there or not. This ignorance about her own anatomy leads to some of the key plot moments of the film.

...

• Teeth, movie by Mitchell Lichtenstein
      In place of anatomical accuracy (They even show that drawings of the female anatomy are completely censored in the school textbooks) the characters are instead shown to take a strong abstinence-only view. This falls apart for the main character when sexual conduct is forced upon her and she discovers a reproductive defense mechanism she never knew she had. She is forced to confront the truth that her lack of knowledge of her own reproductive system is a detriment and has put her in a potentially harmful situation.

Over-all, I agree with the movie’s message that sexual education is important and abstinence-only education is a hindrance, rather than

a help, to young people. The main thing I didn’t like about the movie is that every single sexually active male is portrayed as either a rapist or extremely disrespectful dog. Even the gynecologist is shown to be very creepy and more than a little inappropriate.

While I understand that the stereotypical lustful man is important to the plot, I do wish that a few more of my gender had more redeeming qualities. All in all, I highly recommend this movie. It’s very original, it’s creative, it makes you think seriously about things and it stays with you for a long time after you finish watching it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1123011625421031/k2311a0123/1.23.14