Prince Ombra by Roderick MacLeish  » Books  »
  • I'd highly recommend Prince Ombra for those interested in an intelligent yet easy fantasy read

• by chuck
      I first read this book many years ago and recently dug it out of a box of books I had packed away. The Story concerns a boy named Bentley Ellicott who is the reborn hero that has battled Prince Ombra for all eternity.

Bently is aided by a teacher and a teller who help him find his weakness before he must face Ombra.

/> I really liked this book the first time I read it because it followed the typical pattern of the underdog or outcast who really knew great secrets.

When I reread it I was intrigued by how it tied in all the legendary heroes of the mythology and created a worldwide mythology of its own, making the myths seemed based on some reality.

...

• Most notably was the retelling of the Arthurian legend.

I also liked the idea of saviour with self-doubt, none of which was beyond the typical fears of most 9 or 10 year old boys, though temepered with the foreknowledge of the battle he must face.

The writing is excellent, drawing me into the story simply, without lots of flash and bang.

I still got goosebumps as Bentley revealed his secret to his teacher for the first time.

Mr.

MacLeish keeps the story simple and quiet and though his style is very different, it reminded me of reading a Ray Bradbury novel.

Set in a quiet, smalltown almost nostalgic in its innocence.

I’d highly recommend Prince Ombra for those interested in an intelligent yet easy fantasy read.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171405162521031/k2311a0514/5.14.07