Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Device
  • When I saw that the device only cost $35, I just had to pick it up
  • However, all I had to do was connect the HDMI extender into my TV and then connect the Chomecast to the extender, which fixed the issue
  • The video was slightly blurry at first, but after a few seconds it sharpened right up to amazing 1080p quality
  • In my opinion, the ability to watch any movie in the Google Play Store on my television really adds to the value of the Chromecast
  • Google Chromecast has really made it easy for me to get the most out of my television, and I would recommend the Chromecast to anyone and everyone, as long as they have a compatible device

• by Tim Ertol

I was browsing Amazon a few days ago when I saw the listing for the Google Chromecast, which was one of the most popular items on the website. According to the product’s description, the Chromecast could stream online music and video to any television with an HDMI out, using a tablet, laptop, or smartphone. This sounded great already, but what really sold me was the size of the Chromecast, which was only about the size of a USB pen drive. When I saw that the device only cost $35, I just had to pick it up.

The Google Chromecast came in a small box with nothing but USB charger, the device itself, and an HDMI extender inside. Setup was a complete breeze and didn’t take me any more than five minutes. First, I had to plug in the Chromecast dongle into a HDMI port on

my TV, but, because the Chromecast is wider than regular HDMI cables, the device did not fit underneath the bezel of my TV. However, all I had to do was connect the HDMI extender into my TV and then connect the Chomecast to the extender, which fixed the issue. I’m really glad that Google included the HDMI extender with the Chromecast because the device would be useless to me without it. The second step in the Setup was simply plugging in one end of the USB cable (the micro side) into the Chromecast and plugging in the other end (the regular USB) into my television, which I was able to do without a hitch. Finally, I just had to go to a website to connect the device to my WiFi connection and the Chromecast was ready to use.

Unlike the Roku systems, the Chromecast

is not a standalone device. To take advantage of the Chromecast, you need an Android phone/tablet, iPhone, iPad, or any computer with the Google Chrome web browser installed. Luckily, I had recently bought an Android phone (Motorola Moto G), so I was ready for the device; all I had to do was connect my phone to the same WiFi network as the Chromecast. Then, whenever I went to the Youtube application on my phone, there was an option to stream the video to my TV. I simply had to select that option and the video instantly started playing on my television. The video was slightly blurry at first, but after a few seconds it sharpened right up to amazing 1080p quality. I also really liked how my phone became sort of a remote for my television, as I could pause, play, skip through the video,

• Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Device
      and even create playlists to watch on my TV through the Youtube app on my phone. Another thing I really liked about Chromecast is that I didn’t have to stop using my phone when I was using it to stream video to my TV. I was able to browse the web, take calls, and even listen to music, all while watching a video on my TV through Chromecast.

Now, the Youtube app is not the only Android application supported by Google’s Chromecast. I was also able to stream the music and movies that I download from the Google Play store and enjoy them on my big screen TV while relaxing on the couch. In my opinion, the ability to watch any movie in the Google Play Store on my television really adds to the value of the Chromecast.

Overall, I can’t really say anything bad

about the Google Chromecast. The device allows you to enjoy any Youtube videos, Google Play movies and music, as well as other media, on your television, as long as you have a WiFi connection and a compatible device (Android, iOS, or a PC with Google Chrome). The setup is so easy that a child could do it, and the HDMI extender is a great addition for people whose HDMI ports are in tight places too big for the Chromecast. My only issue (a minor one) is that, when I first stream the videos, they start out very blurry and low-resolution. However, after a few seconds, they sharpen up to a clear 1080p HD quality. Google Chromecast has really made it easy for me to get the most out of my television, and I would recommend the Chromecast to anyone and everyone, as long as they have a compatible device.

Reported prices :
35.00 USD
Target

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1617011625070931/k2311a0117/1.17.14