Smash Mouth (band)
  • For example, I know that I discovered them around nineteen ninety nine when they had roughly four or five members
  • The band also had hits such as “Why Can’t we Be Friends”, which was also featured in a lot of movies and all over the media, “Walkin’ on the Sun”, which I think I heard in a number of places too and a cover of the Monkees’ song “I’m a Believer”
  • In my opinion, none of them can even hold a candle to the albums that they released when they just became popular and I just discovered them
  • I would definitely recommend the music of the band Smash Mouth to people who were fans of Sugar Ray’s music back in the late nineties and early two thousands, as well as to people who just plain like soft rock

• by Redtape

I remember in the late nineteen nineties and early two thousands I had begun to discover pop rock. I was still very young, not even a teenager as yet and so I didn’t know where to get new music especially new music from the pop rock genre since that genre of music was far from mainstream in my country. Therefore what I would do was listen to bands that got airplay however rare that was and bands whose music would appear on international media and in movies. Smash Mouth was one of those bands especially since they had several hit songs.

I will admit that I don’t know much about the background of the band, or how they began playing rock music. However, there are still a few basic facts about them that I do know. For example, I know that I discovered them around

nineteen ninety nine when they had roughly four or five members. I can’t remember what the names of all of them were, but I know that Steve Harwell was the lead vocalist back then just as he is now. He also had on a little bit more weight back then, and I almost didn’t recognise him when I saw him again on television fairly recently since he was so slim. Paul De Lisle, I know has been with the band since 1994, and while he plays bass I also know that he does some of the vocals as well.

In case you still are not familiar with the band I’m talking about, I’ll just mention some of their hit songs, which I know a lot of people, even those who don’t even listen to rock might be familiar with. One of the biggest ones I

remember was the song “All Star”, which was featured in numerous movies and commercials. I remember that it featured in the movie “Mystery Men”, which I loved so much, Digimon, Rat Race and Inspector Gadget. The band also had hits such as “Why Can’t we Be Friends”, which was also featured in a lot of movies and all over the media, “Walkin’ on the Sun”, which I think I heard in a number of places too and a cover of the Monkees’ song “I’m a Believer”.

The reason why I think that Smash Mouth became so popular is because of their unique style and sound. They were very fun and didn’t seem to take themselves very seriously and it didn’t take much for that quality to translate to their music. Even their music videos were fun and laid back, and as far as I could ...

• Smash Mouth (band)
      see back then, it seemed as if people from all ages could watch and enjoy it.

Their style was also unique in the sense that it was a blend of pop, retro music, ska and rock. I would generally put them in the same class as the band Sugar Ray as a result of this, since both bands seemed fairly different from much of the other bands that were getting airplay at the time. However, I think that Smash Mouth had a certain charm that made them stand out even more than Sugar Ray.

These days, my tastes tend to gravitate to more hardcore forms of music such as dubstep and heavy metal, even though sometimes I still find myself listening to bands like Smash Mouth in reminiscence of times past, or just because I feel in a laid back mood. Knowing this, over the

past couple of years I would wonder if they had released any more recent albums that I probably didn’t know about, but the only albums I have seen so far are “Summer Girl” and “Magic”. In my opinion, none of them can even hold a candle to the albums that they released when they just became popular and I just discovered them. However, I’m just pleased that the band hasn’t decided call it quits and stop making music or completely change their sound like one or two of the bands that I used to listen to back then as well just to appease the majority of people.

I would definitely recommend the music of the band Smash Mouth to people who were fans of Sugar Ray’s music back in the late nineties and early two thousands, as well as to people who just plain like soft rock.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1414011624831131/k2311a0114/1.14.14