Carrie (2013 movie)
  • As a result of this I decided to wait patiently until the movie I had access to the movie on either DVD or blu ray
  • I was so happy that I did since I thought that it was a tragic disappointment
  • However, I didn’t see anything worth talking about or anything that impressed me much
  • The characterisation in my opinion was downright horrible since I felt that certain characters should have been expanded on a lot more and that would have added a lot more depth to the movie
  • I would not recommend this movie to fans of the original Carrie or even fans of the book since I know for a fact that they will be sorely disappointed

• by Redtape

Ever since the original movie was released in nineteen seventy six, there seems to have been quite a few remakes of the movie “Carrie” as well as one or two spin offs from it. The one that I’ve decided to review though was the one that was released late last year and directed by Kimberly Peirce. I only heard about this one when they had started doing the casting auditions for it some time ago, and since then I was really looking forward to seeing it. I figured that it would be a lot better than the rest of remakes and spin-offs since the visual effects of 2013 are a lot better than they were in previous years, through my own naïveté, I just figured that the director of it would be good and the actors even better. The only reason why I didn’t see it when it was finally released after waiting so long was because things kept coming up and

so I either had no time or was pitifully broke most of the time. As a result of this I decided to wait patiently until the movie I had access to the movie on either DVD or blu ray. I was so happy that I did since I thought that it was a tragic disappointment.

The movie “Carrie” followed the basic storyline. The main character, a teenage girl with telekinesis, is born to a mentally unstable Christian zealot mother who doesn’t even tell Carrie about her period, despite the fact that she is long overdue to start one. She is bullied at school by a group of girls, led by one girl in particular, and is eventually humiliated and in turn brought to the peak of her powers on prom night.

Nevertheless, what I didn’t like about the movie was that those who were responsible for making the movie seemed fairly safe, confined and unimaginative when it came to working with the

story that they were given. For example, in a movie like this, I would expect the cinematographer to show a lot of very neat camera angles especially when it came to the prom night when the main character was using her powers. However, I didn’t see anything worth talking about or anything that impressed me much.

The dialogue in the movie seemed very basic and unengaging. While I do realise that most of the conversation in the movie takes place between teenagers and fairly young people, I still think that there was a lot of work to be done, since quite a bit of it sounded rather strained, bland and too simple for a movie that had so much potential.

The characterisation in my opinion was downright horrible since I felt that certain characters should have been expanded on a lot more and that would have added a lot more depth to the movie. Indeed, the writers are fairly limited since the movie ...

• Carrie (2013 movie)
      was based on a book, however, I don’t think the fans would have killed them had they decided to make a few adjustments , hence, they still have room for exploration. One of the characters I wanted to see expanded on was the character Chris Hargensen, who bullied Carrie and made prom a disaster for her. I found myself wanting to see more about her home life and what made her into the insensitive person that she was, but, unfortunately, I didn’t so she came across as fairly one dimensional like many of the other characters in the movie. I also thought that there should have been more bullying scenes in the movie since it would have further concreted her insensitivity, and made Carrie seem less mentally unstable in my opinion.

I’m not going to blast the acting in this one since I know as a fact that many of the actors in this movie have talent. I just think that they were

a victim of circumstances in this case since they didn’t seem to have much to work with, and so their work and acting came across as rather butchered. I also blame the casting director, since while I think that many of the actors have talent, they just were cast in the very wrong roles.

For example, I can’t imagine Chloe Mortez as Carrie and I never will. While I had a sort of morbid fascination in seeing her play the role, it was always in the front of my mind that she can’t possibly convey such a character in a genuine way. There is a sort of forceful air about her, while the main character in the movie is supposed to be scrawny and shy. I believe that Gabriella Wilde would have made a better Carrie.

I would not recommend this movie to fans of the original Carrie or even fans of the book since I know for a fact that they will be sorely disappointed.

Azriel says :

I thought this movie is a horror movie, as I was not aware of the book. Sure it started out as some troubled movie more like any other of the same genre. But I kind of ws able to relate to carrie who just wants to belong and why that has become so hard for other people to just let her be. Also there was her mother that did not help at all and only contributed to more of the hurts any child should never feel from their parents.

Moe says :

Technically it is a horror movie, the book is even better. What I liked about this movie was the strong message it portrayed about not bullying, and accepting people for their differences. Chloe Grace Moretz accurately portrayed a girl who was controlled by a religious mother (Julianne Moore was amazing as the mother) and pushed around by everyone else. Her character was complex and she utilized her emotions effectively.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1114011624821131/k2311a0114/1.14.14