Grand Theft Auto IV
  • I've put hundreds of hours into GTA Vice City and San Andreas, so I consider myself a die-hard fan of the series
  • The game is pretty fun, with varied missions and interesting characters
  • In my opinion, the main character in GTA IV is a downgrade from San Andreas
  • I love driving around in GTA San Andreas at ridiculous speeds and doing crazy, impossible turns and jumps
  • That said, I would recommend this game to anyone who isn't a die-hard fan of the series

• by Tim Ertol

Few game franchises have engrossed me as much as the Grand Theft Auto series. I’ve put hundreds of hours into GTA Vice City and San Andreas, so I consider myself a die-hard fan of the series. I had very high expectations for GTA IV. Sadly, the game did not live up to my expectations at all.

Now, I’m not saying that Grand Theft Auto IV is a bad game, because it’s not. The game is pretty fun, with varied missions and interesting characters. But because it is a GTA game, I expected Grand Theft

Auto IV to improve on its predecessor, which it really did not.

San Andreas, a game that is included in my top 3 games of all time, was a vastly superior game than GTA IV in every aspect except the graphics. First of all, I loved CJ’s character in San Andreas. He was a no-nonsense anti-hero, who was violent but also very noble. Grand Theft Auto IV, on the other hand, features Niko, a character who is not nearly as likable as CJ. Niko is an immigrant in the US, which I can

sympathize with, but his personality never seems to match up with his actions. In my opinion, the main character in GTA IV is a downgrade from San Andreas.

Another aspect of Grand Theft Auto IV that is a huge step back from San Andreas is the driving. I love driving around in GTA San Andreas at ridiculous speeds and doing crazy, impossible turns and jumps. Sure, it wasn’t the least bit realistic, but the arcade-like feel of the driving really matched up with the gameplay. GTA IV, on the other hand, just tries ...

• Grand Theft Auto IV
      too hard to make the driving seem realistic. This only succeeds in making it nearly impossible to drive the way I did in San Andreas. If I wanted realistic driving mechanics, I’d play Gran Turismo. Because driving is such a big part of the game, I am so disappointed in GTA IV.

After completing the actual story of past GTA games, I could still spend countless hours messing around with the cheats. San Andreas had infinite re-playability just because of the huge variety of cheats available. GTA IV, on the other hand, has just

a tiny fraction of the cheats of San Andreas. Add to that the lack of planes in GTA IV, and you get a very disappointed fan of the series.

Overall, GTA IV is a good game, but only an average addition to the GTA franchise. In my opinion, only the graphics were improved in this latest edition and many other aspects of the game, such as driving mechanics and characters, seemed to be worse than in San Andreas. That said, I would recommend this game to anyone who isn’t a die-hard fan of the series.

Grand Theft Auto IV
Aqeel khan says :

re : That said, I would recommend this game to anyone who isn’t a die-hard fan of the series
Playing 1 or 2 games of gta doesn’t mean that you are die hard fan of the series You should have played all the series of gta then tell that

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 289011624631031/k2311a019/1.9.14