The Summoning (Darkest Powers Series Book 1) By Kelley Armstrong  » Books  »
  • This mostly due to the growing number of books in this area (Paranormal/supernatural Romance) that feature too many cliches to be likable and make paranormal readers such as myself grit their teeth - the best example being the Twilight Saga
  • However after reading the first few pages I bought it anyway
  • However if the author had made it so we actually questioned her sanity (like RL Stine did in his Fear Street story Switched and in the movie Pan's Labyrinth) then I think she could have drawn in way more readers and it would have been way more likable

• by Isadora Night

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong tells a story of a girl named Chloe who goes to an art school to be a movie director and can hear and see the dead. After a hysterical fit at school when she comes across a dead janitor Chloe is diagnosed as schizophrenic and sent to Lye house which is a home for trouble teens.

Before this series I had never read any of Kelley Armstrong books and realizing that it was classified as Paranormal Horror Romance was a little skeptical. This mostly due to the growing number of books in this area (Paranormal/supernatural Romance) that feature too

many cliches to be likable and make paranormal readers such as myself grit their teeth - the best example being the Twilight Saga. However after reading the first few pages I bought it anyway.

When the story first starts its hard not to assume it will be your average Paranormal Teenager story if I am honest. It features all of the teeth gritting cliches including relationship issues, friends, insecurities and overall a mostly generic main character who I can at least say was not completely shallow. Kelley Armstrong success rooted from two things; the first I feel is due to the fact that Kelley Armstrong refrained from making Chloe’s every action root in fear and exaggerated responses. The second was the fact that she did not put the romance in the fore front as so many novels do. She lightly slipped it in the cracks of the plot and it was not forced; making it realistic in appearance.

The plot is amongst my favorites because it features in a setting I have almost never seen in the past few years: a group home for troubled teens opposed to the usual home (Emily Windsnap series), school (Twilight) or Orphanage (Monster) settings. I feel that this story would have been ...

• The Summoning (Darkest Powers Series Book 1) By Kelley Armstrong
      much better had Kelley Armstrong went out of the way to make us believe Chloe really was crazy. From the beginning you could tell that ’schizophrenic’ was just a label and this story really was paranormal in nature. However if the author had made it so we actually questioned her sanity (like RL Stine did in his Fear Street story Switched and in the movie Pan’s Labyrinth) then I think she could have drawn in way more readers and it would have been way more likable. However without this I feel that the book was rather flat. Even with all the suspense and
      mystery the events did not give you a sense of wonder or excitement. There was too much similarity between the fillers, climax and rising/falling action. By this I mean all the characters stayed static until the end (not counting the ones tricking the teenagers) and whenever something happened (such as them running away or nearly being caught by the police) there was not enough suspense to make you sit on the edge of your seat. This may be due to the limitations of first person writing (which is what this book is written in) which causes a certain disability of writing everything that is going on.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 177011624541131/k2311a017/1.7.14